• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

adouglas

On the tail end of the bell curve in Connecticut
Heard on the radio five minutes ago... 7ender has filed papers for an IPO. They're going public "to pay down debt and open new markets in places like India and China." I wish them all the best and great success. Heck, I might even buy some stock just for grins. The brand is an American icon, after all.

I also fervently hope EBMM never needs to do the same. The fact that this company is family run, privately held and driven by the personal vision of the core team is precisely what I like so much about it. We get amazing, innovative new products because the boss wants to drive the industry forward. A public company is beholden to the shareholders and must produce quarterly profits. The boss isn't really the boss... he has to get approval, or he won't be the boss for long. That has demonstrably stifled innovation in many industries.

I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Dr. Amar Bose, founder and head of Bose Corporation, a few years back. In his address he talked about the history of the company and how they're able to do what they do. He was part of a group of MIT graduates who more or less kicked off the U.S. hi fi industry in the 60s. Companies like Acoustic Research (AR), Harmon Kardon, etc. They populated the "technology ring" around Boston, which was a bit like what Silicon Valley later became -- a hub of innovation and exciting new ideas.

Bose started his company a bit later than the others, so he went around to each of his more experienced colleagues and asked what he should do. They all told him not to go public because he'd lose control. So he didn't... and never regretted the choice. "Had we gone public I would have been pushed out decades ago and we never would have been able to do what we've done. We would have become just like everyone else... and most of those companies are now gone, because they didn't stand out in a competitive field." (That's a paraphrase, but the gist of the statement is there.)

Bose is able to innovate because it can do R&D for years, perfecting a product before it comes to market... and sticking with it rather than chasing flavor-of-the-month trends. Dr. Bose came up with the idea for noise-cancelling headphones in 1979 on an airline flight. Prototype Bose headsets were used on the Voyager round-the-world flight in 1986. The consumer version came out a few years later. That kind of gestation period sounds a bit like the Gamechanger, doesn't it? A profit-driven public company would probably not have been patient enough to allow that kind of project to survive long enough to pay off.

That's what focusing on product and vision instead of profit can do. EBMM knows this.

drTStingray

Interesting news AD. Does this mean they plan to manufacture there I wonder?

PS you should try some Cobalts on one of your Bongos - they are really something else.

adouglas

On the tail end of the bell curve in Connecticut
The already do manufacture in Asia (Squiers), right?

The thing I fear is dilution of the brand, which cheapens it. Look what happened to Harley Davidson. It's become as low-rent as KISS. 7ender already licenses a lot of "lifestyle" stuff (everything from clocks to keychains) but you can go too far and lose focus. Are you in the business of licensing the logo or are you in the business of making guitars and amps?

EBMM is very good at striking the balance.

J Romano

Companies go public, then everything becomes profit based for the stockholder. I worked for Kodak for 27 1/2 years and saw the company go down hill as they tried to please the stockholder. When I joined in 1973 we had 65,000 people in Rochester working for Kodak and stock was $64 a share, I heard on the radio last week there is less than 6000 people today and stock is $0.36 a share. Good luck to 7ender..........

MadMatt

I think I am going to go against the grain here. Going public does not automatically mean a company will fail. I work for a 13 year old company that went public 10 years ago... We are now worth over 20 Billion and have over 7000 employees. We could not have done that without the financial backing going public provided us. The leaders of public companies make mistakes just as the leaders of private companies do. The single most important thing you must do as a company is define your core values and stick to them. This is where companies get it wrong. Regardless if you are a public or private company, maintaining commitment to those goals is a critical success factor. This is why EBMM has maintained success and growth (in addition to Sterlings good looks :) )

Ok, sorry I'll get off my soapbox now.

J Romano

I totally agree, as long as management is competent. What Kodak did was hire CEO's that were more focused on stock holder issues and not product issues. We had a jump on digital technology and they let it go because of poor management. A company, like MM, that is product and customer based is what perpetuates it. Congrats with your company, unfortunately not all are like MM and yours.......

Holdsg

MaddMatt: I get your point completely. Growth companies go public for growth capital and to give their VC or Private Equity investors a "liquidity event" (translation: a boat-load of money). And for every one that succeeds, many more crash and burn.

Fender, sorry to say, is not a growth company, or in a growth industry (neither is EBMM, sorry to say). The MI industry, without innovation, is a GDP-type growth business at best, and a shrinking business at worst. EBMM keeps innovating for sure, but it gets harder to grow faster than GDP because for every one kid in the world that picks up a guitar 1000 kids pick up a smart phone or nintendo.

My experience (10 years in the Wall Street game, earlier in my career) is that selling stockholders always know more than the buying public. I haven't read Fender's filing, but I bet most of the cash is going to 1) payoff debt/bondholders/other investors, 2) investment banker fees, and 3) maybe some extra capital to plow into more manufacturing in China. Iconic brand or not, I would not buy one share even for sentimental reasons. Nope, wouldn't touch this offering with the proverbial 10-foot pole.

Sterling has probably been approached by 1,000 investment bankers over the years. I'm sure he's thought about how wealthy he could become by going public. And I'm very proud of him for not taking the bait.

Holdsg

Not "news" per se (I hadn't been paying attention) but a few weeks ago they pulled the IPO stating "tough market conditions".

jlepre

As soon as I can get some I'm going to. Called my local GC yesterday and they've got 'em... but only the four-string sets.

Got a gig this weekend AND I need new strings. This is killing me!

I have a factory fresh 5 string set sitting upstairs. Just waiting for me next bass to slap them on.

Top Bottom