• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

OldManMusic

I used my new-to-me ’88 SR5 for the first time at a gig this past weekend. I’ve been doing lots of practicing in the basement man-cave to dial in my sound and reacquaint myself with a 5th string prior to the gig. I had the sound at what I thought was a good balance at home, but gigs are where you really hear how things will sound.

During the gig, I really had a tough time managing how much louder the B string was than the EADG strings. Using the B string on say the 7th or 9th fret, it was maybe 10% louder and overpowering the rest of the band. The SR5 eq was at the center detent on the low and mids with just a pinch rolled off on the highs. If I rolled off the low below teh center detent, the EADG suffered.

I’ve checked the SR5s pickup height and it’s in specs. I’m using EB Regular Slinkys and run through a Markbass CMD 121 with the eq flat with a Markbass 151 extension cab.

Any ideas on how to tame the wild beastly B string without loosing the power on the other strings? Do some of you 5er guys run compressors to help the balance? I really love this bass and want to use it live but had to fall back to my Bongo 4 at the gig.

tunaman4u2

As you know judging by your collection, the 4 band EQ is pretty powerful. I really like having that on a 5er for the exact reason of controlling the low B tone & volume

I'll be interested in hearing the thoughts here

jlepre

Sometimes I find that I just need to adjust my playing style on the B. Try playing lighter, and closer to the bridge when playing any lines involving the B. Also a lighter gauge for the B might do the trick too.

stu42

I just started playing with a compressor lately and it's definitely helping to even-out the tone and, generally, adding some polish to the overall sound...makes it sound more professional. I got an FEA Labs DE-CL (Dual-Engine Compressor Limiter) which I find to be really great when you combine the Compression and Limiting together as it creates a complex compression slope. I use a fairly low level of compression (fairly mild slope) and I'm really digging it as it helps with the issues you're talking about. For the way I have it dialled in it's also quite subtle and still maintains a really nice "feel" - not squishy or dead. The guys at FEA are also completely Top Notch in customer service.

Here's a link to a bunch of compressor reviews - the guy who's done all the reviews goes by the name "Bongomania" on TB so you know he's gotta be a cool guy!! :)

Compressor Reviews

tbonesullivan

I'd say change your technique, or get a compressor. With some styles of playing a compressor is almost a necessity due to the inherent volume difference on some strings in different fret positions.

five7

maybe it was the room the gig was in if it sounds okay at your house.

OldManMusic

I think it might be time to test a compressor. During the gig, I really lightened my touch on the B, like you guys are suggesting. While it helped even things out some, it wasn't as even as I'd like it. I love how strong the B felt, but even I knew it was too loud.

OldManMusic

maybe it was the room the gig was in if it sounds okay at your house.

We play this place about once a month and use our PA that stays static when we're not gigging. It was the first time for me with this bass live, so I knew it was going to sound different that my other basses. I used the SR5 for most of one set but really struggled with the volume difference when I'd use the B string.

oli@bass

What I'd try:
- lower the pickup on the B string side
- raise the B string action
- use a thinner B string
- try different string brands

keko

If compressor is used carefully, it always can help a little bit at live gig environment, ...but that venue where You played obviously got some serious problem with one or few resonant frequencies which was unwanted for Your 5th B string!

oli@bass

Using the B string on say the 7th or 9th fret, it was maybe 10% louder and overpowering the rest of the band.

You played obviously got some serious problem with one or few resonant frequencies which was unwanted for Your 5th B string!

7th and 9th fret are available on the E string as well. So that's not a problem of the resonant frequencies of the venue. Thicker strings are louder. Either you gotta compensate by string/pickup distance, picking force or compressor.

five7

Next time you have a gig, let me know and I will bring my bongo and my sub 5 and we can compare the B strings.

keko

7th and 9th fret are available on the E string as well. So that's not a problem of the resonant frequencies of the venue.

:confused: :eek:

Hi oli,

believe me, I change venues like underwear, :D ...lot's of problems could be produced because of venue resonant frequency(-es), especially in bass range!!!

Of course all other options about the bass setup should be checked before gig too, that should be done at the first place! ;)

P.S. ...when You quote my posts, please take care where to cut it, ...otherwise other members could be confused!

OldManMusic

Great comments and suggestions. Just what I was looking for. I'm going to try changing the setup and looking in my used string box for something a little lighter. I've got 3 gigs coming up in Nov, so I'll have a chance to try 3 different venues too.

Soulkeeper

My experience is that most B string(setup)s are noticeably different from the other strings, and that you have to compensate with your finger technique in order to integrate it with the whole.

I've played 5 string basses since the day I started playing stringed instruments, and I guess that makes compensating for the idiosyncrasies of B strings come naturally to me.

I never expect the B string to sound like the others out of the box. As long as I'm able to compensate, I'm good.

keko

I never expect the B string to sound like the others out of the box. As long as I'm able to compensate, I'm good.

I expect, ...and it works, ...but only when fresh set of strings are on, ...after a few gigs I have to "compensate" like You wrote above, first B string "die", ...than E string "die", ...other three are more durable and they last a little bit longer...etc. At the end when G string is not useful for slap any more it's time for whole strings set change!

Mu5icM@n

My b string is always a little higher at the bridge to let that huge string move around. I also tend to play lighter on the B than the others.

Top Bottom