• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

A.J.

Nice guitar! You are better off buying within your own country from an authorized dealer or distributor so that you can play the guitar first and take advantage of the warranty.

jzeijen

From asking other UK EBMM players, buying from the USA appears to be a common route to getting what you want for a reasonable price. It’s just the buying blind thing that concerns me.

I'm always scanning the for sale thread on here and checking ebay so I will keep checking in and hopefully catch which guitars you (reluctantly) put up for sale.

For what it is worth, I have bought 5 EBMM 'blind' and have never been dissapointed. Just make sure you have a good feeling about the transaction, if something doesn't seem right don't do it.

coldsummer

Nice guitar! You are better off buying within your own country from an authorized dealer or distributor so that you can play the guitar first and take advantage of the warranty.

I agree A.J. as far as new guitars are concerned. In the last year I purchased two new EBMM guitars from authorised UK dealers and have been reasonably happy with the experience. However, the used market is very different. We have a very limited supply in the UK so we often have to buy from the States. I have had several very happy transactions with other forumites and have acquired guitars that I would never have been able to source here. It can be a nerve-wracking experience and not recommended for people of a nervous disposition, but for others like myself, it's the only realistic way of obtaining our guitar of choice. Convincing the owners to ship to the unknown world beyond the 'lower 48' sometimes takes a bit of work though!

spkirby

Simon, you've done it again. Do you play in a band?

I love humbucker guitars at home for their fatness and warmth, but in a band situation I much prefer single coils or better still P90/MM90s for their ability to cut through the mix. Of course your SSS will give some lovely cleans, I find the pups on the Albert SSS are still quite hot as singles go...

spkirby

I have bought "blind" a few times and in the main things have been positive although I did get some dogs too. Anybody remember the $1000 amber EVH for sale on this forum years ago? Well I got it, the beautiful pictures on the forum were taken by a previous owner, not the actual seller, and it arrived looking like it had been stored in a swamp, unbelievably filthy and anything metal was rusting! Took some restoration I can tell you!

grayn

Congrats on a gorgeous guitar.
I think you'll like the S/Cs. I'd call them chimey, rather than bright.
Add a bit of valve warmth and you're onto a winner.

coldsummer

Simon, you've done it again. Do you play in a band?

I love humbucker guitars at home for their fatness and warmth, but in a band situation I much prefer single coils or better still P90/MM90s for their ability to cut through the mix. Of course your SSS will give some lovely cleans, I find the pups on the Albert SSS are still quite hot as singles go...

Steve, I'm too busy buying guitars to play in a band, and I have a terrible sense of timing and rhythm so I would find it difficult to play in a band unless it was some kind of freeform avant-garde jazz group. I've converted my Silhouette into an SSS using a custom pickguard fitted with a set of dimarzios (FS-1 and true velvets) but I'm a sucker for the AL's and I'm really looking forward to playing this one.

Spudmurphy

@ Coldsummer. Great Al - you will love the SSS I'm sure.

@bluesboy re stockists of MM guitars - I think you are about 2 hours driving from one of the best stockists in the UK. - Knighton guitars (in Knighton lol). Lovely part of the country - make a day of it?

Bluesboy82

I keep checking Knighton Music Centre, Guitars4you and a couple of the larger chain stores websites, but still no joy.

Just need to keep my eyes open and be ready to pounce when the right guitar becomes available.

Good things come to those who wait (I just dont want to have to wait too long!)

@ Coldsummer. Great Al - you will love the SSS I'm sure.

@bluesboy re stockists of MM guitars - I think you are about 2 hours driving from one of the best stockists in the UK. - Knighton guitars (in Knighton lol). Lovely part of the country - make a day of it?

coldsummer

A quick update, she arrived today, needs some new strings an a bit more 'float' on the trem, but boy she's a looker - the white pearl and maple is so classy. I'm already loving the SSS config, there's something very pure about single coils and I'm enjoying discovering them having spent so much of my life playing humbuckers. Tone isn't too cutting as I'd feared, in fact very smooth and rounded but with a nice bit of crispness and bite.

Well, that's about it for now, I'm off to the docs to sort my hands out. Only a right-handed guitarist will know how impossible life is with virtually no movement in the left hand ring finger and agonising pain - it's really not good when bending a note and having to pull out half way through, sounds awful tbh! Wish me luck.

spkirby

A quick update, she arrived today, needs some new strings an a bit more 'float' on the trem, but boy she's a looker - the white pearl and maple is so classy. I'm already loving the SSS config, there's something very pure about single coils and I'm enjoying discovering them having spent so much of my life playing humbuckers. Tone isn't too cutting as I'd feared, in fact very smooth and rounded but with a nice bit of crispness and bite.

Well, that's about it for now, I'm off to the docs to sort my hands out. Only a right-handed guitarist will know how impossible life is with virtually no movement in the left hand ring finger and agonising pain - it's really not good when bending a note and having to pull out half way through, sounds awful tbh! Wish me luck.

Glad it got here safely and good luck with the docs. If my left hand fingers ever start to give up I'll drop from 10s down to 8s first and if that's no good I'll play slide guitar... ;)

Top Bottom