• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

wkj4567

I've seen black backs and brown backs but never a natural back, looks like it was stripped?

Any ideas?

ass#2.jpg

ass#1.jpg

Attachments

• ass#3.jpg
    ass#3.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:

Stratty316

That looks pretty cool! I have to imagine it got stripped. I would almost think about doing this to my green axis... Almost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
My first guess would be stripped and refinished. The green may not even be original. Then again, ya never know. If you have he serial number, post it in the serial number thread and ask about the finish (front and back).

And welcome to the forum!

wkj4567

I called and spoke to EBMM Customer service. The serial number doesn't correspond to anything similar to the pictures. They suspect it's a parts guitar made from authentic EBMM parts. They suggested removing the neck to see if there's a mahogany tone block to see if it's a BFR body since green hasn't been offered as an ASS color in a long time. If it were mine, I would do that but I was looking to buy it online so I will have to see if the owner will take off the neck.

Eric O'Reilly

Looks like just an oil rubbed finish on the back, its not shiny enough to have a poly or nitro, but it may be a very very thin coat? It looks cool and nice though, i like the relic'd old finish look.

Tollywood

This is not a good fit. Personally, I would not buy this one.

26330d1415120753-anyone-ever-seen-before-axis-super-sport-ass-3.jpg

Stratty316

Guys, that's a recessed neck plate which is appropriate for the time period in which they produced the Green ASS (1999-2000) my Green Axis was made in early 2000 right after the switch. So this totally could be legit. When Wkj called customer service did they confirm it was green and from approximately 2000? If so it's legit, just modified.

Tollywood

Hi Mat. Take a closer look at the lower side of the neck plate. It won't fit in the hole. It's sticking up out of the recessed area.

Stratty316

It looks like the leftover black paint because they guy didn't disassemble it completely to strip it. It's not a pro mod..

wkj4567

Guys, that's a recessed neck plate which is appropriate for the time period in which they produced the Green ASS (1999-2000) my Green Axis was made in early 2000 right after the switch. So this totally could be legit. When Wkj called customer service did they confirm it was green and from approximately 2000? If so it's legit, just modified.

They said it was Translucent Gold with matching headstock with a DOB 9/9/1999. So it appears almost the entire guitar is stripped/refinished etc. It would make sense since a gold headstock with green body would look weird. I'm going to pass on this FrankenASS!

Stratty316

I'd pass as well at that point.... Unless it was super cheap and I knew I was going to mod the hell out of it.

But 1999 could have totally been a legit green and the color looked pretty good.

Last edited:

Stevie

to me the neck plate stamping looks like a later model stamp whilst the impress into the wood is an earlier model characteristic. something wrong here. as tollie says, the plate is protruding out at the back.

wkj4567

Here's one that the seller says is a 2001 and it is green flame maple. But look at the back and this might be why this one had the back stripped.

Pics of another green AXIS

That could explain it, I've seen other guitars with backs like that, how does that happen? Is that something that can be refinished or are they typically deep into the wood?

Top Bottom