• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

daneford

After a lengthy remission, the gear bug has bit hard. I bought a hardtail silo and a 20th anni recently, and they are freaking awesome. Including a silo special I've had for 10 years, I've got 3 EBMM guitars.

I played a petrucci bfr 7 string recently that had me drooling, but I don't know if I'm ready to venture into 7 territory yet.

My first guitar was a silo with a floyd, and I've thought about getting another one. I spotted one used for about 1k. The other options would be a silo with a trem and the piezo, or a bfr jp. The y2d is also tempting, but I haven't been able to demo one.

I'm interested in hearing thoughts/suggestions, especially from you folks who own several different models. I grew up playing a silhouette, and I love them, but I'm tempted to venture into new territory.

canuck6string

After playing a Silo, I understand your exuberance for them. I returned my Axis for the simple reason it didn't 'fit' as comfortably as the Silo did. The tone was outstanding with its P90s, but kept having to adjust my playing position.

The Luke fits similar to the Silo in my estimation. Haven't tried the AL. That might be worth a try....oh those P90s.

daneford

I lucked out having a music man as my first guitar. It's given me a good baseline for judging quality.

I didn't get on with the emg's in the original luke, but I would like to try out a Luke III with humbuckers if I can find one. Haven't seen any at the local GC yet. They did recently have an AL in HH and a rosewood neck. That thing played and sounded awesome. It was hard to put down. The body would take a bit of getting used to.

And then there's p90's. Those things are tasty.

mystixboi1

I bought a Luke III without trying it. No regrets. The the dive and never look back

daneford

Finally got to demo a luke 3 hh with a rosewood neck. It was at the local GC. Killer guitar. Haven't played a roasted maple neck, so I have no idea what I'd like better. Perhaps some luke owners can chime it.

On a related note, the guy helping told me that music man quality is more consistent guitar to guitar than F and G because MM is more machine made than man made. I just smiled and said "oh".

BUC

Well, if you're a working musician I can't say enough about my Gamechanger.

If you don't want to venture into the future, then I recommend a Reflex. A uniquely voiced and incredibly flexible guitar.

If you want something simpler and straight forward, I absolutely love my Y2D. Great sounding rock and roll guitar.

If you're looking for something REALLY different than a Silo, an Armada is an amazing axe.

Really, you can't go wrong dude.

daneford

Well, if you're a working musician I can't say enough about my Gamechanger.

If you don't want to venture into the future, then I recommend a Reflex. A uniquely voiced and incredibly flexible guitar.

If you want something simpler and straight forward, I absolutely love my Y2D. Great sounding rock and roll guitar.

If you're looking for something REALLY different than a Silo, an Armada is an amazing axe.

Really, you can't go wrong dude.

All very intriguing recommendations. The reflex looks like a really interesting guitar. They all do. The only decision I'll be 100 pct happy with is to get one of each. Now to convince the family accountant...

QuietSpike

Venture into new territory.... with a JP15 or Majesty....

or...

Venture into new, but still somewhat familiar territory.... with a LIII. :)

daneford

Venture into new territory.... with a JP15 or Majesty....

or...

Venture into new, but still somewhat familiar territory.... with a LIII. :)

Solid advice. The LIII Bfr looks awesome, as do some of the more finely appointed jps. How do like your pdn jp? Those quilt tops are gorgeous. I showed the Mrs a pic, and she declared it one of the most beautiful guitars she's ever seen.

QuietSpike

I love my PDN BFR... Absolutely beautiful machine, and plays amazing. I prefer, ever so slightly, the playability of my JP12 (flatter radius, and the finished neck feels great.... which I don't know how MM does it cuz I usually hate finished necks!). Both extremely solid machines.... but keep in mind, I'm a rock/Christian rock/hard rock/metal player (don't worry, I'm not going to start preaching to you :)). A hardtail silo would never be on my radar, so our preferences appear to be very different.... So for me to venture into new territory, I would get a Silo or LIII. And one of those is probably my next ax. :) After a majesty 7 of course. ;)

I posted pics of my PDN when it came in (as well as a video of the UPS guy delivering it, and a vid of the unboxing). The pics were in sunlight, so the roasted neck doesn't show up very well, but the quilted top does!!

Top Bottom