• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

RichieZ

Sorry for the newbie question.

I received a nearly new Valentine last week. Previous owner had an emergency and had to unload it quickly. It's immaculate, still has the plastic on the pickguard... He only had it two weeks but when he got it he had immediately changed out the 11s for Elixir 10s. He's a long time player and obviously has his preferences set.

It plays and stays in tune fine.(Amazing, actually) but I was curious as to why that particular model ships with 11s... as most appear to ship with 10s. Debating whether to go back to OEM on first restring.

Anyone have one if these and know why it comes with 11s and whether you plan on keeping it that way? Or did you go to 10s and prefer it?

Thanks ahead of time. Loving the guitar and enjoying the forum.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
They ship with 11s presumably because that is James Valentine's preference. Petrucci used to prefer 9s, then 10s, then back to 9s and the back to 10s and each time production would switch to match. But you could happily put tens or 9s on the Valentine. If you are happy with action as is, you'll only need to adjust truss rod and intonation.

RichieZ

Thank You.

I assume he had adjusted the truss rod because the action in the middle of the neck seemed about right.

I did adjust the intonation though. Also adjusted the saddles up a half turn, as I was getting a little buzz when fretting up high... like 10th fret and up. Maybe due to the lighter strings.

They ship with 11s presumably because that is James Valentine's preference. Petrucci used to prefer 9s, then 10s, then back to 9s and the back to 10s and each time production would switch to match. But you could happily put tens or 9s on the Valentine. If you are happy with action as is, you'll only need to adjust truss rod and intonation.

Last edited:

mistercharlie

I played mine with 11s for a while, then switched to 10s. I adjusted the truss rod and intonation, and it's better than ever. No reason not to use 10s, for sure.

Fro

I've used size 10 Slinky's for years. I put 10s on my Valentine pretty quickly

Top Bottom