• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

zuma

Get yer coffee or beer. I'm gonna tell y'all a cool story and end it with a nice, short sound demo.

Back in 1991 I was a high school senior. One fine day, my main axe was stolen! I was actively gigging with school and our original band so I needed a bass ASAP. Next thing you know, I'd dragged my mom to Guitar Center Hollywood. There was no endless rabbit holes of research back then. As I didn't drive, and neither did my mom, it was quite a chore just to get down there. One way or another, I was walking out with a bass guitar. I nearly got a Fender Power Jazz but there it was on the wall, a white Stingray, just like my current idol Flea used. I had half of the cash, and the rest went on Ma's credit. It came home with me and served as my only bass for years to come. 3-band, mute bridge, medium birdseye neck, rosewood fretboard.

Fast forward to being in a signed band on the "verge of success" (ha ha ha!). Like a big dummy, I sold my beloved Stingray. In my defense, I sold it to a friend who agreed to sell it back to me just in case he didn't keep playing. Let's fast forward some more to about 2010. I began really missing my Stingray, and also felt bad that I'd sold a bass my Ma helped me out with. I was on a mission to get it back. I figured, hey, in this day of social media and text, my friend will be easy to find. NOPE! My friend was off-grid! I gave up after about six months.

THEN, late last year I received a text out of nowhere from a mutual friend. It simply said, "Mike still has your bass." It then took another 2-3 weeks to track him down and make the deal. I GOT IT BACK NOW! Woooooo! My buddy said he'd strung it with flats, played a couple of songs, then put it under his bed. Curiously though, it went yellow! I'd love someone to explain that one as it wasn't even seeing any sun. These are the thickest flats ever, likely heavy Rotosound 77s. These things are like suspension bridge cables I tell ya. Before I swap them out, I decided to memorialize it and record something. Here it is! -->

Fun facts: That 1978 cover had a huge influence on me. If my recent research is correct, it was played by a fella named Dennis Wadlington, on an Alembic bass. In my attempt to get closer to his recorded tone, I processed the Stingray with a SoundToys Filter Freak plugin, for that Alembic LPF-resonant filter vibe. Trust me though, the tone was about 85% of the way there even without that plugin. Also, though this a mute bridge, the mutes disintegrated before I even sold the bass, so they are not engaged here.

PXL_20220808_023140640.jpg

PXL_20220808_023308448.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220808_023416501.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220809_172950301.jpg

Tollywood

I love a happy ending. You are so lucky that you got your bass back. I think it’s cool that it yellowed.

Back in the day, Music Man was all about birdseye maple necks. Now it seems that the necks are mostly heavily flamed maple. I like both.

ohbugger

That is a super cool story, and glad that you ended up with it again!

zuma

Thanks everyone. I wanted to share a photo of "back then" and found something perhaps more amusing, at my expense! This is me playing my Stingray in the year of purchase, for our lunchtime "Gong Show". I told y'all I was into Flea! :ROFLMAO:

kevins

love this story, and also love how olympic white yellows, you might be able to bleach out the yellow with sunlight! some paint mediums do darken, especially ones made with resins! but a lot of paint mediums actually bleach out with uv rays!

zuma

Very interesting! I had no idea some paints bleach out with exposure to UV rays. I rather like the yellow so I'm not gonna try that. Good to know there might be way, though. :sneaky:(y)

rhythmCity944

Nice story! I have a similar story with a non-EBMM bass... but on topic, I have a '88 Trans Teal SR4 that is now green! Remove the clear PG and the contrast is epic between the unexposed paint vs. the exposed paint.

CW Zing

Glad to see you reunited with your Stingray.

I’d like to yellow out my white bass, ‘95 stingray 5, but with poly finish it might bleach out like Kevins mentioned earlier. Guess I could try in June 😂

Top Bottom