• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Mr. Boston

Hey Folks, new member here with a question/gripe about my Volume/Pan Pedal.

I'm using ALL mono TS cables.

Here's my signal path:

Strat > AB/Y Box out to two paths.

Path A through "tone" effects (EQ, Overdrive, Compression) > Input A on 6165 > Amp A
Path B through "time/atmosphere" effects (Phaser, Chorus, Delay) > Input B on 6165 > Amp B

The idea is to use the 6165 to do swells to both amps (which it does beautifully) OR to pan between one amp and the other.

The problem is with the panning, it doesn't sound gradual or even or linear at all. It's basically:

Heel Down: Only Amp A
Toe Down: Only Amp B
Anywhere in Between: An equal mix of A and B at about half volume

It goes from all of one, to half of both, to all of the other.

Is there a way to achieve a more even, cross-fade between the two amps? A pot to replace perhaps?

Mr. Boston

I would go straight from the guitar to the 6165, but the AB/Y box does a much better job of hum-cancelling in a dual-amp rig, for that alone it's worth keeping in the chain.

Mr. Boston

Thanks Spud, I'll try putting the 6165 first in the chain. I generally like to run it THROUGH the other effects first, especially distortion, so I can turn the Strat volume all the way up and hit the dirt boxes full bore, to get more texture and reaction out of them, then use the 6165 at the end to moderate the overall volume level you know what I mean? But if putting the 6165 first in the chain will result in a more even pan effect, it might be worth it.

Also, somewhat unrelated question. I know I can run my guitar to the 6165 to "split" the signal to two paths, but does it work in the other direction? Can I separate the signal with an AB/Y box, go through two paths, then plug both into the 6165 and COMBINE them to a single mono out? So I can run the whole thing to a single amp? My real goal is to have two segregated signal paths that don't muddy each other up. If I can achieve this and also spare myself the back ache of lugging two amps around that'd be awesome too.

So right now I'm going: Guitar> AB/Y Box> Path 1 & Path 2> 6165> Amp 1 & Amp 2

But would is it possible to do it: Guitar>AB/Y Box> Path 1 & Path 2> 6165> Combined signal to Amp 1?

Top Bottom