• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

japhy4529

Hey there!

This is my first post on the MM forum. I am the proud new owner of a used 4-string MM Stingray. I bought it last night from Guitar Center for $729. It was dropped down from $899. The Bass is mint with the exception of three small dings (down to the wood) on the body, near the bridge. The bass is translucent Orange, with a maple neck (no matching headstock), a white pearloid pickguard and three band EQ. Oh, they also threw in a hardshell case (not an EB) and a set of strings.

OK, with that info, do you think I paid too much? From what I understand, new 4-string stingrays usually sell between $1100 to 1200. I have no idea what a used Stingray is worth. It sounds like a good deal to me, but I just wanted to check with the experts. I bought the GC "performance guarantee", so I have 60 days to return it for a full refund.

BTW, I love the Bass. The only problem so far is fret buzz. The action is nice and low (perfect for me). But there is fret buzz on the E and A strings from the 10th fret and above. What can I do to get rid of this? Should I tweak the neck a bit? Any advice from the experts would be greatly appreciated!

BTW, I am not a newbie, as I have played Bass for 16 years. I am just unfamiliar with the Stingrays.

Thanks guys!

- Tom

bovinehost

Administrator
729 is not bad at all. Used modern Stingrays go all day for 800 or so, so you did okay if you ask me. That translucent orange is a great color, too, isn't it? (I'm tempted to put a tort guard on mine.)

Does sound like you need to check your neck relief.

dMac

Crime against nature

BH,

O God Nooooo!!!! I beg you. Do NOT put a toroiseshell pickguard on a T-orange bass. This has to be the most hideous, vomit-inducing color combination ever concieved by a perverse mind. I love your MM collection, so I know you still have some decency and humanity left down inside. By the way, what the heck kind of a name is bovinehost anyway?

I think 729 is a very good buy. Hope you enjoy the bass.

:eek:

silly

i bought a new stingray 4 3EQ for $999 a year ago
great price!

Rod Trussbroken

Sounds like a good price to me.

Tort is the best invention since canned beer :p

Re the fret buzz......the neck may be too straight or the next fret up may be a little high.

>how far up past the 10th does it keep buzzing?
>the string height at the 12th measured in play position?
>relief at 5th or 6th while depressing 1st and 12th in play pos?

Cheers.

Edit.....Re my saying the neck may be too straight.......That's WRONG!.....please disregard that. :rolleyes:
Sooooo, IMO, either string height or a high fret further up the neck.

Last edited:
R

R32_Freak

Hey, i also have a translucent orange bass, but mine is a sterling...ne ways. I saw a String Ray bass up fro sale at a guitar center by me..used...i didn't check the price, but it played sweet. ne ways, that was the Guitar Center off of Steven's Creek in San Jose, CA

And i too have fret buzz,arg.

japhy4529

Cool. I picked mine up at the GC in Plymouth Meeting, PA (outside Philly). I STILL have fret buzz. It's the only thing I don't like about the Bass. Unfortunately, if I don't figure this out soon, I may need to return the Bass. :( I do a lot of studio recording and the fret buzz is unacceptable when used in that application.

I'll keep you guys posted. Hopefully, it won't come to that.

Peace,
Tom

thumper

Hey Japhy

Great price.....

Frett buzz.....

Well lets start with some info. 1st do you strike hard or soft?
If you strike hard and you wish to achieve low action you will need to sight your neck and give a wee bit of relief (start by keeping the bass in tune adjust the neck till straight and turn truss nut towards the left 1/4 turn to give the neck a slight relief,next adjust your saddle hieght accordingly, to the radius of the fretboard.(EX) if you are using 45-105 gauge strings you will have more of a vibration when plucked,adjust the E saddle to approriate hieght the first hieght screw closest to your upper body should be 1/2 turn lower than the second screw of the same saddle.The A saddle first screw should be 1/2 turn higher than the second screw of the E saddle,the second saddle screw should be 1/4 turn higher than the 1st A saddle screw once achieved do the same MIRROR imaged for the D and G saddles when done properly the saddles will be mimiking the fretboard radius so when you sight the frettboard from the headstock all the way to the bridge they will be exact.That should give you optimum playability...No fret buzz.

Good Luck

PS
I play soft and have super low action with no Buzzing My E string is about 1/8 of off the 12 frett

Thumper

Last edited:

japhy4529

thumper,

thanks for the info. i will try your suggestion tonight. i do play relatively hard. but right now, it doesn't matter if i play hard or soft, the buzz is there (less so when i play soft). hopefully, this will do the trick.

cheers,
tom

thumper

Japhy

That should take care of it.I have alot of stingrays both pre-ernie,and ernieball stingrays and every single one of them came to me with a dire need of a proper set up. Every single one was set up to my likeness.I play my basses with a perfectly straight neck and a good radius on my saddles and play soft finger style with no buzz at all,when i Thump on my bass (which is quite often) i receive some buzzing on the open E due to the vicsouse thumb attack i apply to it ,but hey thats why they call it slapping
right ;-)

I think with a little tweeking you will be happy.......

Email me...lets talk shop.

[email protected]

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 65
Top Bottom