• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

coldsummer

I didn't think I would be posting this NGD, in fact I was pretty sure the next NGD would be when my St Vincent arrived (hopefully not too much longer to wait).

Anyway I guess a lot of us are in a similar boat, having a collection of guitars, some of which are keepers for life whilst others are sold in order to raise funds for further acquisitions. Well last week I sold a few guitars, nice ones but maybe I hadn't really bonded with them that much, and I found myself with a reasonable wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket!

I'd always been intrigued by the Majesty yet didn't have it high on my wanted list. My main guitars for many years were an Axis and JP6 but when I got the Albert Lee HH it became my main guitar as it just seemed to fit me better than anything else, still does in fact, but the desire to try something new is never too far away. So I'm sat there with cash to burn and Phill Kirk at Project Music in the UK offered me a great deal on a Majesty Artisan (Nero) which I couldn't resist, and yesterday it turned up.

First impressions - It is an absolutely beautiful, elegant guitar, the Artisan Nero finish is very classy and the gold hardware actually looks great in the flesh. It's smaller than I had imagined, but that's a good thing. It is relatively lightweight and sits comfortably. The neck is on the thin side but not too skinny which is a relief as I'm more used to slightly bigger neck profiles these days. It plays great, and all the controls (lots of 'em) are positioned well and are easy to use and understand. Construction is, of course, excellent. The piezo is really impressive, I'd say it sounds far more realistic than my old JP6 but maybe it's just my memory. I'm looking forward to playing with that and exploring the mixed tones.

It's early days but overall I like it. It's a very different animal to every other guitar I've owned, even the JP6 tbh. It feels like a precision instrument, a surgical tool and somewhat clinical which is unsurprising given JP's style and technique which are very different to mine. I'm more of a loose player, rock and blues, think Neil Young or David Gilmour (but nowhere near as accomplished!), sweep-picking and fast legato will never be my thing so the Majesty isn't the obvious guitar for me but what the heck, I've never played chicken pickin' in my life but the AL could have been designed for me so I never really pay too much attention to Artist endorsements when choosing a guitar, the features and design are more important imv.

So, I'll stop rambling on and go take some pictures because I know that's what everyone really wants!!

xjbebop

Beauty...congrats!
I also feel the Majesty is a surprisingly different guitar from the JP6. Superior actually...

coldsummer

Beauty...congrats!
I also feel the Majesty is a surprisingly different guitar from the JP6. Superior actually...

Indeed, I'm quite surprised just how different it is. Shouldn't be I suppose considering the years of refining and development that have gone into the Majesty.

dibart77

Man, these Majesty Artisans are just amazing. Every one I see blows my mind! Congrats!

howey4

Artisan Majesty is a great guitar I've had mine for just over a month now haven't put it down !!!! its my first JP guitar so took a bit of getting used to the neck shape compared to my Luke but its the nicest playing best looking guitar I've ever owned couldn't be happier.

LesPaul

Gorgeous. Congrats. Just ordered the 7 string version with the same finish. ETA is end of June. Can't wait.

Top Bottom