• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

SIRI

Hello any and everyone.
Does anyone have to trick to snaking the pickup wires through the bridge pickup cavity; then into the control cavity?
I'm having a hard time getting the bridge pickup wire (coming out the opposite side of the route) back underneath or around the pickup, and into the control channel, out to the cavity.
There's not much room for both the neck pickup and bridge pickup wires in there.
I'm always left with a hump on the pickguard because of at least one obstructing wire. You all know how tucking in the wires can be a bit frustrating working from off to the sides.
Anyway, I think you get the idea.
Any takers?
THX

racerx

I'm not familiar with the AL cavity specifically but could you use (something like) a pipe-cleaner tied to the pickup lead as a snake? Sorry if this isn't helpful, I can't visualize the problem to know what the specific jam-up is.

SIRI

I'm not familiar with the AL cavity specifically but could you use (something like) a pipe-cleaner tied to the pickup lead as a snake? Sorry if this isn't helpful, I can't visualize the problem to know what the specific jam-up is.
Thanks for offering a solution. I could try it...but anyone with an AL would see what I'm referring to...

Magic Jason

It is very tight indeed. Had the same problem when changing pickguards.
Had to try and try and try again ... untill it fitted and the pickguard bump disappeared.
I'm afraid there is no magic solution.

SIRI

Thanks, Magic;
Just to hear that someone else has this struggle, I guess I'll carry on with it.
I'm in there often enough that tracing out the routing of the body against the pickguard, then pinning down the wires with small cable ties, might be the ticket.
Thanks all, for your responses.

Magic Jason

Best guitar in the world, it's worth fighting a little.
I'm swapping the pickups in 2 AL's :
- Shur V60 LP to tame the VERY bright nature of my BFR
- Shur Thornbuckers in one of my HH. Because their lower output might suit me better.

You won't be alone struggling!

SIRI

That's exactly why I'm in there. I've been trying my luck at changing out (what to me) is the bright-sounding bridge Dimarzio in there with other pickups.
I'll take a look at those humbuckers that Jason has alluded to in his post.
I've tried the Luke "transitions" before and thought it sound tight and even. But it turned out to be microphonic straight from the get-go. I'm waiting for springtime to pot that one outside. Don't need the mess and of upsetting the wife. :)

fbecir

Bright-sounding Dimarzio ?
Did you try to lower the pickups ? Lot of guitars are too bright because the pickups are so close to the strings.

Magic Jason

The BFR I mentionned is a single coil one. And yes, it IS bright.

I'm swapping the humbuckers to try the Suhr Thornbuckers because I think their lower output might suit me better. Never saw the Dimarzio as "too" bright. Rosewood neck tames the highs! .

SIRI

Honestly;
The lower (GBE) strings poke out too much for my ears, I need something else.
The pickup is down to about 1/8' from the pickguard.
I don't know if this is helping or not but I've screwed down the pole pieces right down into the humbucker itself and it's still too bright.
Might be the strings that I'm using (nanowebs), and I've tried a few others.
Might be the signal chain of my pedalboard, and I do have an eq to dial out some of the highs.
All this to make the pickup sound pleasing to me. The neck pickup is fine.
You might be wondering, well why in the heck did you buy this guitar if it's sounding this bright?
It didn't hit me as an issue when I tried it out and I was looking for a guitar that would cross over to country from classic rock in a cover band.
The thing is though, that I play it through a Rivera amp that I can cut treble down to the exact point where things sound ok.
But that's not the point... the special Dimarzio's that are in there do not have the top to bottom balance that I'm seeking.
These may have been tailored for Albert Lee's ears and I'm sure his discerning ear is leagues better than mine.
Or, maybe I just bought the wrong guitar for me.
I might try a lower output pickup and see that works for me.
To think this all started out about tucking in wires. :D

SIRI

Thanks, Jason, for keeping this thread alive.
I would love to read your observations when you have them installed.
Sorry about the drama earlier... just basically looking for a different humbucker.

Top Bottom