• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Magic Jason

I need your opinion guys...

As you can see in my signature, I own 3 AL's. And will get the 4th one in February when I fly to NY.

I just love these guitars and I would like to own an MM90 also, as they have such a good reputation and look so cool.

So here is what I can do :

Option 1 - I modify my PDN 2012 HH to become an MM90. I would then have every electronic (SSS-HH-MM90) in PDN; plus the SSS BFR. (I do not really "need" two HH guitars.)

Option 2 - I sell the PDN HH 2012 and buy an MM90. But I'm very picky : I want a trem, 'special" colours, mint guitars, non matching headstock if mapple necks, etc... There is a very nice Eldorado Gold for sale at the moment but ... Is selling a PDN to buy a "regular" a good idea?

Option 3 - I keep waiting for a dude to sell me his mint AL Dargie Delight MM90, trem, non piezzo... which will NEVER happen...

If I go "option 1", which P90 would you recommend? Should I route my guitar and install 3 P90's or fit 2 humbucker-sized p90'S???

I'll truly appreciate your input. Thanks!

PS
I begged MM to build my Starry Night in MM90 but they refused as the model is discontinued. I highly doubt that my musical career and my guitar skills will impress them so that they change their mind anytime soon. ;)

Last edited:

xjbebop

"PS
I begged MM to build my Starry Night in MM90 but they refused as the model is discontinued"

I pretty much did the same thru Pete, but it ain't gonna happen.

1) You could modify, route, use aftermarket pups. Might come out great, but it won't be right...won't be the same as original.
2) imho, the GC special version ('hog body & rosewood neck...) REALLY hits the sweet spot with the MM90's.
Not many fancy colors, but if it's about the tone/voice, I would recommend watching for one of those. I've been seeing them pop up on reverb off n on. Not long ago there was a black one (same as my favorite, 'spanky') that lasted way longer than I expected, and ended up going for a killer price.
After my budget recovers from the Starry Night and the holidays, I'll be watching for another one...

Happy Hunting!

beej

For spankin' tones, you want the ash body. I'd probably sell the HH PDN and find a good MM90 one. Bonus points if you can find a beater and have it refinished in something unique ;)

Sweat

If you mean me on the DD well mines a hardtail and not that mint:) I would just grab one period. If anything sell the neptune blue and look for a MM-90 AL with what you want:)

The one I had that made its way around the forum would be great for you, MM-90, them, trans red, extremely flame swamp ash, killer pick guard. But that was 10 years ago:) No idea where it is at now.

Magic Jason

Thanks for the advice Sweat but I just LOVE my Neptune Blue, I was more in the mood of sellin' my 2012 Honey Burst HH.

10 years ago...I was still playing Parkers Flys, Les Pauls, Strats,... I hadn't experienced THE guitar then! ;)

I don't even know if an AL MM90 DD was ever built with a trem!

Last edited:

xjbebop

*edit--

Found this from my copy of the DD1 list -

Albert Lee SSS Standard - 3
Albert Lee SSS Trem - 2
Albert Lee MM90 Standard - 1
Albert Lee MM90 Piezo Standard - 1
Albert Lee MM90 Trem - 3

Last edited:

threeminutesboy

I can only confirm what been just said MM90 and ash.

I would recommend keep what you have now try a MM90 if you like the sound then customize it to a color you like and sell the AL that are redundants.

Simple as that another thing you can try is to replace the humbuckers in your PDN with Phat Cats. That's easy and reversible :)

Keno

I love the MM90s. My AL does not get much playing time but I'm always surprised how great it is. The ash body is super light and responsive. I seem to get along better with the Luke neck so I always end up grabbing a Luke. Good luck in finding your guitar - I found mine by chance at a pawn shop.

xjbebop

re: ash& maple vs mahogany&rosewood = both sound great. both have their own character.
Only sane answer is to own both... :)

Norrin Radd

I have an AL MM90 and I am (at least) the 2nd owner. The guitar had been "modified" in a home-made fashion to house humbuckers and/or single coils. The electronics were also changed out before I got it. It had some mini switch on the top by the volume knob that did......I don't know what. Underneath the PG is not a pretty sight. At all. BUT, it is extremely functional and sounds great now. I am pretty sure that at some point a previous owner fried/ruined the silent circuit, although it is still there under the hood.

I spent some time and tried restoring to spec the electronics as best I could. The pickups, at least, are the original ones that came with the guitar. It does sound great now, and by looking at it you might not even know that it had been modded (new plastics and all that). BUT, if you looked under the hood you would notice that a fair amount of wood was shaved away here and there to accommodate the other kinds of pickups. Think swimming pool route but not nearly as pretty.

The point is, if you mod for different pickups, you will never be able to seat the MM90s in there the way they originally were installed. Now, that's okay for some people (I could care less what it looks like under the PG) but a lot of people would be put off by these kinds of changes. Just a heads up for future resale potential issues.

Good luck with your decision,. The MM90s are awesome - even with the 60 cycle hum! :D

Magic Jason

My luthier would first fill the humbucker holes with mahogany then route it for p90. My best friend's who is a skilled electronician would then wire everything from scratch. I would be a very professionnal job. Though I m not yet decided on what I' ll do.

Last edited:

Flash Gordon

I would just wait for a special one to come along. Once you modify existing... it may lose long term value (thinking about your 2012 PDN). I sold my 2012 PDN AL MM90 to Klaveguitars on here a while back. It really was magic.

Top Bottom