• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

JimF

Are they a special order item , or limited run etc. I played an Albert Lee quite a few years ago with one and loved it, but didn't have enough in my gear fund. I have a 2014 Axis on its way from Long and Mcquade with the all rosewood neck as we speak. But I don't see many around.

tbonesullivan

Depends on the model. For the Albert Lee HH, they were standard. They were also standard on the Luke III for a while, and on the original St. Vincent guitars.

The St. Vincent and Luke III are both now roasted maple, and I would wager that the Albert Lee HH will be that way soon. It has become quite hard to get blanks big enough to make an entire neck out of Rosewood.

I do not know if this will change once the supply chain issues from Covid and Ocean freight insanity are over.

GWDavis28

Are they a special order item , or limited run etc. I played an Albert Lee quite a few years ago with one and loved it, but didn't have enough in my gear fund. I have a 2014 Axis on its way from Long and Mcquade with the all rosewood neck as we speak. But I don't see many around.

Keep you eye open for the BFR runs, sometimes they'll do rosewood necks.

Glenn |B)

JimF

Keep you eye open for the BFR runs, sometimes they'll do rosewood necks.

Glenn |B)

I actually have a solid rosewood neck Axis incoming. Just wondering about why it would have a rosewood neck...ie special order or just a run in 2014 ?

wannarock8

I actually have a solid rosewood neck Axis incoming.
Congrats on your Axis. I don't think I have ever seen one with a full rosewood neck. I have seen them on L3's, St Vincent and Albert Lees, but not the Axis.

JimF

This is it

Attachments

• md_70_ee9ee03522dabcdae1620a9192b36786_IMG_8895.jpeg.jpg
    md_70_ee9ee03522dabcdae1620a9192b36786_IMG_8895.jpeg.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 100
  • md_70_ee9ee03522dabcdae1620a9192b36786_IMG_8908.jpeg.jpg
    md_70_ee9ee03522dabcdae1620a9192b36786_IMG_8908.jpeg.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 101

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Congrats on your Axis. I don't think I have ever seen one with a full rosewood neck. I have seen them on L3's, St Vincent and Albert Lees, but not the Axis.

There were at least two limited runs (2013 and 2008 BFR logo run for sure) when you could order an all rosewood neck on almost any instrument and yes, the Axis was included in the 2013 run and I'm almost certain it part of 2008 BFR run too.

Wildhorse

My new BFR Sabre has a rosewood neck. It’s my first and it’s great feeling in my hand. I’ve only got in 8-10 hours so far, but it feels like friction is already going down and it started out wonderful.

Magic Jason

I have owned and tried AL HH and L3's with and "without" full rosewood neck.

The rosewood AL is definetely darker, which is fine to me. But I also love the brighter mapple/ebony neck on my PDN2016.

The L3 was another story : I've owned 3 Olive gold/rosewood L3's from the original run. All 3 were fantastic.
Owned a Hazelnut BFR and a "regular" Bodie Blue. Didn't care for these two ,too bright, too fizzy for my taste. They lacked sweetness compared to the "rosewood ones". But you might just love that.

IMHO rosewood necks are fabulous!

Last edited:

Stratty316

I have owned and tried AL HH and L3's with and "without" full rosewood neck.

The rosewood AL is definetely darker, which is fine to me. But I also love the brighter mapple/ebony neck on my PDN2016.

The L3 was another story : I've owned 3 Olive gold/rosewood L3's from the original run. All 3 were fantastic.
Owned a Hazelnut BFR and a "regular" Bodie Blue. Didn't care for these two ,too bright, too fizzy for my taste. They lacked sweetness compared to the "rosewood ones". But you might just love that.

IMHO rosewood necks are fabulous!

My HH AL is definitely a dark sounding guitar. It really is one of my favorite guitars to play partly because of the feel of the rosewood neck, but occasionally I am forced to play a different Music Man (oh, the humanity) because it is just too dark sounding for what I'm trying to play in the moment. Music Man got it 100% right in the first release, but I am waiting to see what the specs on the new AL are... if they happen to move away from the all rosewood neck and put a roasted maple neck on it I may have to pick one up to compare.

PeteDuBaldo

There were at least two limited runs (2013 and 2008 BFR logo run for sure) when you could order an all rosewood neck on almost any instrument and yes, the Axis was included in the 2013 run and I'm almost certain it part of 2008 BFR run too.

Yes, and to add to that prior to the 2008 limited run the Axis line was offered with an all-rosewood top and neck. This option began in 2006, then was offered on almost the entire EBMM lineup in '08 as a BFR package, then offered again in 2013.

JimF

Yes, and to add to that prior to the 2008 limited run the Axis line was offered with an all-rosewood top and neck. This option began in 2006, then was offered on almost the entire EBMM lineup in '08 as a BFR package, then offered again in 2013.

Thanks all. So mine with a born date of February 2014 would have been from the limited run of rosewood neck orders in 2013.....

Top Bottom