• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Michael_E

Actually, this is not very nice in 4 and 2, the splitted firebird PUs dont sound as good as the full PUs in parallel.

I need to find something closer to the "goldie" wiring, ideally with the neck + bridge in parallel combo.
When I had mine wired up with a Superswitch, I had… neck parallel-neck series-middle/bridge parallel-bridge parallel-bridge series. Sounded great.

Michael_E

Be advised that the Superswitch is going to bump in to the back plate. As it is metal.. No bueno. I put some gorilla tape between the two and it worked. After some time, the switch went a bit wonky I believe due to the constant pressure and movement of the unit.

Michael_E

No, I have a Music Man. They got swapped on the PCB. Not a fun job, the terminals are custom sized to fit thusly through PCB with solder on both sides. Very tight fit. Had to get the pots through EBMM as no one else made pots that would fit.
I got my pots from Dimarzio and they fit perfectly.

NickNihil

Really? Did you have to speak a Dimarzio rep? I don't see any on the site that would fit.

MrLucky

My 2¢:
My St V has moved to may main guitar. Everything else I play live seems to be missing something that I can get out of the St V. I love it.
I rewired it with a 6way from Oaks Grigsby. Warning: as mentioned above, the body is thin so one has to bend the tabs on the pickup selector.
At some point I will remove the PCB and use regular pots, Alphas will fit, not sure yet about CTS. Might try the DiMs.

The pickups: I wasn't sure I liked them until I rewired the switching. I find them a fantastic midway point between H and S. I'm not new to pickups (I'm not new to anything anymore!), and have a long history with minihums, and these DiMs, IMHO, great!
They are definitely not Firebird pups, in any way other than cosmetic.
Anyone try the PG minihums? Probably a different thread for that!

NickNihil

My 2¢:
My St V has moved to may main guitar. Everything else I play live seems to be missing something that I can get out of the St V. I love it.
I rewired it with a 6way from Oaks Grigsby. Warning: as mentioned above, the body is thin so one has to bend the tabs on the pickup selector.
At some point I will remove the PCB and use regular pots, Alphas will fit, not sure yet about CTS. Might try the DiMs.

The pickups: I wasn't sure I liked them until I rewired the switching. I find them a fantastic midway point between H and S. I'm not new to pickups (I'm not new to anything anymore!), and have a long history with minihums, and these DiMs, IMHO, great!
They are definitely not Firebird pups, in any way other than cosmetic.
Anyone try the PG minihums? Probably a different thread for that!
I actually just replaced the bridge and neck with the PG13 in my stealth black hhh. I like their eq better-a bit more top end bite with more scoop in the mids. At first I was only planning on neck but the bridge and neck sounded TOO different. Weirdly closer to my Jazzmaster but with more grunt. At the same time, something feels a little choked about them. But I think I like them better than the dp198/168.

Michael_E

Jumping back in here to update. Still stoked on my pot choice. I think I would not mind swapping the stock bridge pickup with something a bit more vintage and chewy/sweet. It still sounds really good and I don’t mind keeping it but curiosity is a difficult thing. I did put the pickup on a push/pull 500k volume pot so I get series/parallel which does wonders tonally.
I also worked with Davey at Greasy Groove Pickguards in Canada and picked up a custom guard with no routes. He now has the large pick guard template as I sent mine to him. He can now do any configuration of pickups with a vast array of materials.

Top Bottom