• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

backagain1

Anybody play a SR5 (or other Music Man bass) through an Ampeg SVT-3PRO? Does it color the sound of the SR5, or does it let the natural sound shine through?

Thanks!

backagain1

Last edited:

fevitz

i have the svt 3 pro and 2 svt 4 * 10 cabs , im using a sr4 and bongo . i find the sr4 matched to the ampeg as marital bliss , im very happy with this combination , i think they compliment each other , though it took me a while to settle on the sound i like as there are so many variations to be got .

Mabongohogany

How about a Sterling 4? May I comment? (-:
I used a 3-PRO for quite some time, with a SVT-15E and an (awesome) SVT-48HE, which was a 4x8 tight and sweet sounding cab once offered by Ampeg.
IMO MM and 'Peg are a match made in Heaven; and I liked the 3-PRO alot. Outside of Ampeg's natural coloring, which I think is a good thing, and a defining tone for the bass guitar (one of them anyway) your bass should sound like...Your Bass.
The 3-PRO has LOTS of tonal variants, all made possible by the same 5-pre-amp tube front end as an SVT so...

I was able to get sharp defined highs, great mid-range -the frequency selector makes some good changes when needed, and the Lows were pure Ampeg/MM bliss-
I could use the "ULTRA" switches too, which for whatever reason, some players can't seem to get a sound with.
Ultra-Low in particular, along with the 3-band on the Sterling, made for some of the best deep-pocket phat tones ever.

Aw shoot, now you made me miss my 3-PRO rig!!
Good thing I still have a B-15R, THunderfunk, and a few other tricks up my sleeve.

fevitz

Ive in the last 12 months got to using the -15db together with the HI & LO & BRT switches with the EQ set to where im happy and everythings there and has been thought out , like the volume drop can be compensated via the EQ master volume . Ive had this SVT 3 pro for 5 - 6 years (made in US / not vietnam) Never needed to replace preamp valves or anything for that matter ! a bit heavy but a great amp .

five7

Played my bongo thru an SVT II and a SR thru an SVT 5 for awhile. Does the SVT 3 sound different or better?

fevitz

The svt 2 has the real classic tube sound , whereas the svt 3 is a very close to those big guys for a fraction of the cost , and not as heavy to lift . Not having played the svt 5 i cant say there , but for what i got i know it is the sound ill be happy with for the rest of my playing career . I drive a toyota corolla and both spkr boxes , head , and 2 basses fit with the back seat down perfectly as well .

Top Bottom