• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Morseman19

anyone else having the same problem as i am?
i just ran it straight into a fender twin. cable/pedal/cable.
it sounds like a blanket was thrown over the clarity.
unplugged, went straight into the amp, and the clarity was back...
so even when the pedal is not engaged, its making a big difference. almost the same as the volume pedal tone problem.

about to open to see if theres any knobs or switches inside to fix this

thoughts?

i love the concept and a transparent overdrive is great, but not at the cost of that clean sparkle/clarity

PeteDuBaldo

We had a shipment of the pedals arrive today and the Overdrive was very clear - but nothing like a blanket being thrown over the amp. Yhere was a very slight change in the sound when running through the pedal where the ultra-high frequencies were not quite as present. Whether this was because of the pedal or an extra 20ft of cable, I'm not sure.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
We had a shipment of the pedals arrive today and the Overdrive was very clear - but nothing like a blanket being thrown over the amp. Yhere was a very slight change in the sound when running through the pedal where the ultra-high frequencies were not quite as present. Whether this was because of the pedal or an extra 20ft of cable, I'm not sure.

The new expression pedals have a 1MΩ input impedance (the same as many amps and most other pedals on the market and so there is a correctly functioning pedal shouldn't make much difference. An extra 20ft can do certainly do that. How noticeable it is will depend on the capacitance of the cable.

(I'm actually writing a blog post on choosing guitar cables. In short, low capacitance is generally better, some high priced cables are major tone sucks and BS physics word-salad marketing is rife.)

BrickGlass

Looking forward to that blog post DrKev. I've certainly found that anything over 20 ft. and I start to notice some signal loss, especially in the highs. I usually don't go over 18 ft.

Guitsum

what power supply are you using? I ran mine through a Voodoo Labs 4X4 and haven't had any trouble at all...I've heard that One Spot power supplies work really well too...

Morseman19

No 20 foot cables here.. Mogami gold. And voodoo as well

We're not talking a major diffrence, but it was enough to send back. Those highs are important. The sparkly top end. It's 2017,
you should be able to run a board full of effects into an amp, and have the same exact tone as plugging directly in.
There's not a single pedal I'm using that alters that signal. I heard the change the second I plugged in. Then I ran it by itself, then direct. Def the pedal. I'm in high end live rooms all day, so maybe it highlighted it more having a professionally treated room.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the tone sucking volume pedal a huge problem over the years?

Last edited:

Big Poppa

no it wasnt. weve sold that volume pedal for 40 years and it is the number one selling high end pedal still. some pedals arent for everybody...sorry we disappointed you., thank god we have a ton of very happy users!

beej

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the tone sucking volume pedal a huge problem over the years?
It's generally lack of understanding that gets people in trouble with volume pedals.

There's never been an "issue" with the volume pedal, and you'll note that it's on countless numbers of touring rigs. The added load of a passive volume pedal (any kind) can be an issue after a guitar, but before a buffered pedal or amp.

In any case, if the pedal isn't for you, so be it.

D-rock

anyone else having the same problem as i am?
i just ran it straight into a fender twin. cable/pedal/cable.
it sounds like a blanket was thrown over the clarity.
unplugged, went straight into the amp, and the clarity was back...
so even when the pedal is not engaged, its making a big difference. almost the same as the volume pedal tone problem.

about to open to see if theres any knobs or switches inside to fix this

thoughts?

i love the concept and a transparent overdrive is great, but not at the cost of that clean sparkle/clarity

I'm actually getting the same exact thing. When I used it on my pedal board (Furman with proper power throughout, no issues there), it sounds bad. Like, it makes the sound gritty and grungy...like wayyy too much distortion even if the drive knob is backed down and the pedal heel is all the way back. Once I took it out of the chain (took it off my board) the wonderful cleanliness of the amp came back. I'm not sure if this is normal for this pedal? or if it needs repaired.

Top Bottom