• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

ToneBenda

I know they have 4 lead wires supposedly, so, has anyone ever had their AXIS wired WITH a coil-tap?

Also, any opinions of this possibility and maybe what the sound might be like, let's have it. I like having a coil-tap to get a sorta' strat sound/single coil sound, and I remember asking MusicMan last year if they'd offer it and at that time, no.

So, it's one of those things I might look into IF it will work.

GrooveHT

Hey TB,
I was just going to ask if the Axis had 4-conductor leads on its pickups, so they could be modded at a future time. To me, having either bucker in single coil mode would be cool, but the one that would really have me interested would be having both inner coils activated, out of phase, ala the John Petrucci sig model...its a very cool sounding combination. I think the neck pickups on the Axis and the JP are similar, although the bridge pickups are different. However, JP at one time DID use pretty much the same pickup combination that the Axis now bears. What does all that mean? Your milage may vary!

GrooveHT

dwf1004

"The only difference is the EVH pickups have 2 conductor leads and the Axis has 4." That's direct from Derek/Brian in a different thread.

I would be under the assumption that this is used with the 5-way selector in the Axis SS (position 2 and 4 activate single coil on the neck and bridge, respectively).

As for the coil tap, that could be interesting...and we have a lot of "inquiring" minds around here, so you never know. :)

ToneBenda

Well, I guess the other cool thing is to have this done doesn't really cost too much, and then BAM, you got even MORE flavors outa' the same axe. I'll have this done by Christmas (don't laugh, it'll probably take me that long to get around to hauling it to Cincy to get it done!).

dwf1004

ToneBenda said:
...I'll have this done by Christmas...

See what I mean, you give 'em ideas, and they're wild enough to do it. :)

Let us know how that turns out when you get that going, ToneBenda! :)

ToneBenda

That's about all I have left to do to this puppy is get it "tapped" and get a D-Tuna and she'll be ready ta'roll!

Yeah, when I get it done I'll pass on my cost, the sound, etc. so anyone who might be interested will have a better idea what to expect.:)

VOLTAGE

I have a axis so it has the 4 wire pups and i put a push/pull 500 K volume pot for tapping and the pups have a amazing split tone:)

Daggo

Voltage,

Which coils did you select for the tap? I purchased a 500K push-pull pot on the weekend, and am trying to decide which way to go. I would like the two center coils for the combination setting, but I don't think this is hum cancelling, as they are both north pole coils (is this correct?).

I also think that I'd like the outside bridge coil for a cleaner sound, so I may go with the outer bridge and inner neck coils as a compromise. I think this will give me a hum-cancelling configuration in the blend position.

Cheers,

Daggo

Top Bottom