• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

GWDavis28

Hi all, I've been thinking about getting something to aid in setups and string action.

Has anyone ever used this before?

71C-ZRG%2BMQL._AC_SL1204_.jpg

Thanx, Glenn |B)

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I have the D'Addario version and it's great. I've had cheaper ones too but their accuracy is hit and miss. And sometimes I'm happier with standard 6" steel engineers rule.

The perfectionist in me is bothered by that one. I like that they include the line thickness BUT it looks like you should read to the bottom of the line, but you should in fact read at the top. By that I mean, if the bottom of the string is at the top of the line, the string height is as indicated. If the bottom of the string it to the bottom of the line, your reading is 0.005" smaller.

For those of us with metric gauges, the line height is 0.25 mm, as is also the case for steel rulers with 0.5 mm divisions.

Last edited:

beej

I have a few fancy gauges but never use them.

I use the strings (depressed at the 1st and 15th frets) for setting the neck bow, and a standard small ruler in 64ths for bridge and pickup heights. Easy peasy.

GWDavis28

I have the D'Addario version and it's great. I've had cheaper ones too but their accuracy is hit and miss. And sometimes I'm happier with standard 6" steel engineers rule.

The perfectionist in me is bothered by that one. I like that they include the line thickness BUT it looks like you should read to the bottom of the line, but you should in fact read at the top. By that I mean, if the bottom of the string is at the top of the line, the string height is as indicated. If the bottom of the string it to the bottom of the line, your reading is 0.005" smaller.

For those of us with metric gauges, the line height is 0.25 mm, as is also the case for steel rulers with 0.5 mm divisions.

DrKev, hahahahaha, well being a designer, I've already got the scale, so I'm good there, I was hoping for something longer in length since the scale I have is a small one and the width is proportional. Was just wondering is a tool similar to this is worth while from an overall stand point.

PS, which D'Addorio one?

Thanx, Glenn |B)

GWDavis28

I have a few fancy gauges but never use them.

I use the strings (depressed at the 1st and 15th frets) for setting the neck bow, and a standard small ruler in 64ths for bridge and pickup heights. Easy peasy.

Beej I was going to use my scale for the pickup height in the same way.

Thanx, Glenn |B)

Top Bottom