• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

coldsummer

Need a little help from fellow knuckleheads. Several years ago I bought a set of 'genuine USA Axis pickups' off ebay from a trusted seller in the States. I haven't really looked at them for a while but I have recently acquired an Axis with no pickups (I know, I know). The thing is, looking at the set I have they don't resemble the ones I have on my other Axis SS, in fact they look more like Peavey Wolfgang pickups with the windings visible through the small square hole on top of the cream bobbin covers.

I would be really grateful for any advice/observations etc from the knowledgable guys here. Either way I'm going to fit these pickups as I don't have any others.

coldsummer

No.

DiMarzios are stamped on the bottom with their name and Made in USA and don't have holes drilled in the corners.

Thanks DrKev. This confirms my suspicion but I had hoped some earlier ones without the normal markings may have crept through. I wonder what they actually are then? They look similar to Peavey Wolfgangs but not exactly the same as I have a set of those too. Thanks for the heads up though, much appreciated.

coldsummer

The wires are exactly the same as in the axis apart from the white wire on the axis is actually grey on the pickup set I have. Apart from that green, red and black appear to be the same. I suppose the next step is to fit them and see how they sound! They definitely aren't Peavey as they have much longer mounting plates.

coldsummer

Oh I see what you mean. No, I wouldn't know how to test them, I'm not that technically knowledgeable, just play the things. I always take my guitars to the tech to do any electrical work. Thanks for the info though, I'll certainly be aware of this in the future so I've learned something today!

coldsummer

It doesn't look too difficult if you know how to use a multimeter and understand how pickups are constructed. I know neither so off to the tech it must go!

Top Bottom