• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

EVH_5150

Hey all! VH ON TOUR HELL YEAH!! Sry got excited!

O.k., I have 3 EBMM AXIS axes, and 1 of them has a bad neck pickup or a bad switch?

Any easy way to test this? besides tearing her apart and rewiring it into anther axe?

Is this a common thing? I love this guitar madly, the only complaint i HAVE IS THIS little problem. I have only had it a few months.

I don't want to ship it in under warranty, it's 2 risky it could get damaged. That would suck man. Would be just my luck To lose the perfect axe 4 me.
I have a lot of axes, and this is by far my fav.

Thx in advance!

hbucker

You can take the cover off of the back cavity and take a gander at the switch and pot. If you see a loose connection there's your answer. Does the sound cut in and out? That would probably be a dirty or misfiring switch. Sometimes the contacts on the switch can be bent just enough so they don't make good contact... so you have to bend them back a little. If it's just off all the time that's a missing connection somewhere in the system.

If you don't know what you're doing or looking for, it would be worth paying a local tech a little bit just to look at it and give their opinion. If it is a loose connection or a dirty/broken switch that's easy to take care of on the spot without having to ship it anywhere. Warranty or not that would be the easiest way to handle it.

Maybe a Moderator here can give you an idea as to whether there are any local techs who do warranty work in your area...

VOLTAGE

EVH_5150 said:
Hey all! VH ON TOUR HELL YEAH!! Sry got excited!

O.k., I have 3 EBMM AXIS axes, and 1 of them has a bad neck pickup or a bad switch?

Any easy way to test this? besides tearing her apart and rewiring it into anther axe?

Is this a common thing? I love this guitar madly, the only complaint i HAVE IS THIS little problem. I have only had it a few months.

I don't want to ship it in under warranty, it's 2 risky it could get damaged. That would suck man. Would be just my luck To lose the perfect axe 4 me.
I have a lot of axes, and this is by far my fav.

Thx in advance!

what you want to do is take a resistance reading on the neck pup first!
it should be at 15.3K or so.
get a multimeter and set it at 20K and take the red probe of the Multimeter to the red dimarzio wire and the black probe of the multimeter to the green and bare(ground)
if you get a 15K reading it is something else and consider your self fortunate too cause that pup can ONLY be replaced by EBMM and it cost $100 plus labor and you have to send EBMM the guitar!:(
if it is the switch switch or bad wire connection that aint no biggie!;)

EVH_5150

thx Voltage

Thx a lot voltage, I'll try that out a.s.a.p.. Great advice, Thx a million!

I hope it's the switch, I have done all kinds of jobs building and repairing my axes. The switch would be great if that's all it is. I popped off the cover the other day and found everything nice an tight including all soldering connections.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{hbucker}
I'm just very short on free time right now, and I don't like tearing apart a perfect guitar if I don't have to. Ugggh!

It's always off on the neck position, the middle position gives a much lower muffled sound, and the Bridge postion sounds great and loud.

I fear it may be the pickup though. :mad:

Thx for the help, I'll post back once I try Voltages test out. :cool:

VOLTAGE

Re: thx Voltage

EVH_5150 said:
Thx a lot voltage, I'll try that out a.s.a.p.. Great advice, Thx a million!

I hope it's the switch, I have done all kinds of jobs building and repairing my axes. The switch would be great if that's all it is. I popped off the cover the other day and found everything nice an tight including all soldering connections.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{hbucker}
I'm just very short on free time right now, and I don't like tearing apart a perfect guitar if I don't have to. Ugggh!

It's always off on the neck position, the middle position gives a much lower muffled sound, and the Bridge postion sounds great and loud.

I fear it may be the pickup though. :mad:

Thx for the help, I'll post back once I try Voltages test out. :cool:
glad to help and i really hope all works out for you;)

VOLTAGE

ratter said:
I'm on the third switch on my main EVH...
hey ratter ya got me considering the V paf's i may get a set to try out? you say they have that same tone as the EVH pups?

ratter

VOLTAGE said:
hey ratter ya got me considering the V paf's i may get a set to try out? you say they have that same tone as the EVH pups?

They sound very similar to my ears, just a lot lower output. A tad brighter in the bridge and duller in the neck, but not much. Not as harsh and smeary as the stock pups.

VOLTAGE

ratter said:
They sound very similar to my ears, just a lot lower output. A tad brighter in the bridge and duller in the neck, but not much. Not as harsh and smeary as the stock pups.

I ordered a set;) :cool:

Derek

EVH,

Call our Tech department.(866)823-2255 They can help. If you have a tech in the area it might be good to consult with them. If it is a switch problem we can make a new one available.

Derek

EVH_5150

Thx guys

Thx guys!

My kidney stones are acting up again, I'm in misery @ the moment. If I can muster up the strength, maybe I can test that pup 2night. Some pain killers may be in order to keep me goin.

I really appreciate all the fast help! :D

Thx again guys!

Top Bottom