• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

jayjayjay

Hi all - So something I've noticed on my 2018 Axis BFR: the Floyd Rose trem unit routinely makes a knock or clunk when it returns back to level, decked against the guitar top.

I'm running two springs w/ 9's, and unless I'm very, very gentle in controlling the trem return from a dive, it knocks against the body. Sometimes, if I bend more then a step so that it pulls the trem up slightly, I can even get a clunk when I release the bend.

I don't hear the clunk through my amp, at least that I've noticed.

Is this normal? Would loosening the springs so that it's just before floating help reduce the knock?

Long-term, is this going to damage the top?

Thanks!

guitargonaut

For the past 5 or more years - I've tried everything I could think of to stop the tremolo clunk with my Axis. Can't hear it through the amp so it's more of a mental thing. No discernable damage over that period of time either. Coming from a floating tremolo on a previous guitar - it was a little bothersome at first. Now I try to anticipate it and adjust as needed.

jayjayjay

For the past 5 or more years - I've tried everything I could think of to stop the tremolo clunk with my Axis. Can't hear it through the amp so it's more of a mental thing. No discernable damage over that period of time either. Coming from a floating tremolo on a previous guitar - it was a little bothersome at first. Now I try to anticipate it and adjust as needed.

Ah, sounds like it's just normal with that particular design. I can live with it. Good to hear that it doesn't seem to be marring the top finish. It's my only guitar with a Floyd Rose, and none of my others make a clunk (floating or dive only), so wasn't sure what to expect. Thanks!

Stevie

It could be that the level of your bridge contact points to the posts are not aligned. When you dive down, the bridge does not stay in wedged in the post, rather it too moves. So when you ease off the dive, the bridge slips back into the resting position and clunks on the way back to the resting position.

Top Bottom