• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

skisquash

Axis MM90 Piezo - Volume Off BUT Still Can Hear Through Amp

Not sure what is going on. But this occurred during our last band practice.

I noticed even though my volume was off (either knob). I could still hear the guitar although lower. Is this a shield, pot or noise circuit problem? I know that some in this forum got help from Ernie Ball to replace the circuit, but I'm not sure if this is the issue.

Thanks

Last edited:

spkirby

99.9% sure its the pot, and it'll need replacing. I had exactly the same issue with an Ibanez some months back. New pot, no problem...

skisquash

Last night, I tested the guitar to verify
that there was sound leaking through even though BOTH
volumes were off. I was able to replicate the effect
on the studio mixer and another amp.

Well I opened the back, looked at the wiring and
circuit board, checked for loose items and the wiring,
verified the ground wire and that was about it. And
put it back together.

Decided for kicks to try it one more time. Guess
what? No noise. Could this still be the pot? I plan to try today.

skisquash

Odd thing is this is the piezo version with 2 volume knobs and they both behaved the same way with guitar strumming could be heard through the amp even the volume knob(s) off.

beej

Ah, sorry, piezo. Different kettle of fish.

Does it happen through both outputs? Do you hear it when you're using purely the passive magnetic output and/or the active magnetic or blended output?

TNT

In addition to what Beej said; I had a similar problem a while back and changed out the pots (troubleshoot). Then from there I corrected "other" issues. It was fine after that.

If the volumn knobs are "off" (and the pots are operative) than that in itself would eliminate faulty wiring issues, pickup issues, etc. . . - off is off. Unless of course the pot is somehow "bypassed" per the wiring etc. . .

beej

If it were just the mag pickups I would suspect the mag volume pot. It's either not grounded properly or it's faulty and has resistance between the wiper and the grounded lug. This would show up through the active or passive outputs (ruling out the preamp).

But you're saying it also happens with the piezo volume. So this could be a grounding issue (the outputs of each pot aren't fully grounded when turned down, as the ground they're connected to isn't the same ground feeding the preamp & output, etc.), that's more likely than both pots being bad.

If you're handy you could have a look and measure the resistance between ground points on the pots, the preamp, output jack, etc. But your best bet is probably to call the customer service folks and get them to weigh in- they're the pros at this.

skisquash

Beej & All,

It is the piezo pot/circuit. If I use the mag pickup jack, no problem. If I use the piezo jack, it bleeds through whether the switch is on piezo or mag.

I was thinking that perhaps they shared a common ground but you are thinking this is not the case. I wonder if it may be the switch.

I have contacted EB and I'm waiting to hear back.

I should state just be clear when I turn the volumes to off the overall volume does decrease. So that part is working. It is just that when it is all the way in the off position and the amp is at reasonable level, you can still hear the guitar. It sounds muted like it is coming from the middle of the guitar.

Last edited:
Top Bottom