• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dwheelr

Hey all,

At a gig a couple weeks ago, I was getting no output from my Game Changer. I thought maybe my batteries were dead (despite having recently replaced them), so I swapped them out for some new ones. Still no output, except for a nasty buzzing sound. I removed and replaced the batteries a few times, and it finally came back online. Got through the gig OK. Tested the old batteries and learned that, as I expected, they were still fresh.

I've got no idea where to start troubleshooting this. Has anyone experienced this issue? Any thoughts where to start looking for problems?

Thanks!
Drew

jones4tone

Welcome to the forum, Drew!

I haven't had this with my Game Changer, but one of my EBMMs has an output jack that is looser than the others. If your cable had gotten loose or come out of the jack just slightly, it could shut down the electronics in the guitar. So don't overlook that. There are variances in the connectors on different 1/4" cables that I've picked up over the years, and some don't hold as securely in my guitars.

Wahoonc

Welcome to the forum, Drew!

I haven't had this with my Game Changer, but one of my EBMMs has an output jack that is looser than the others. If your cable had gotten loose or come out of the jack just slightly, it could shut down the electronics in the guitar. So don't overlook that. There are variances in the connectors on different 1/4" cables that I've picked up over the years, and some don't hold as securely in my guitars.

This is very true. George L's cables are excellent in this regard.

dwheelr

Thanks! I've definitely had that issue too on occasion, so I was able to eliminate it as a problem in this case, but you're right that it's something to be aware of. Cheers!

dwheelr

Oddly, my George L instrument cable seems to be the one most prone to disconnection. :/

Wahoonc

Thanks! I've definitely had that issue too on occasion, so I was able to eliminate it as a problem in this case, but you're right that it's something to be aware of. Cheers!

Were you able to troubleshoot and identify the problem? Curious, in case it happens to me in the future. Thanks!

dwheelr

No. It's frustratingly intermittent. I cleaned the contacts inside the battery box. They didn't look dirty, but it seemed like a thing to do. Haven't had the issue for a week or so. I'll update if it ever comes back. Thanks!

Wahoonc

That is strange and frustrating. Keep us updated. Will definitely check in if I experience anything similar.

Wahoonc

No. It's frustratingly intermittent. I cleaned the contacts inside the battery box. They didn't look dirty, but it seemed like a thing to do. Haven't had the issue for a week or so. I'll update if it ever comes back. Thanks!

Drew, based on the issue you raised, I checked out my battery box tonight while I was changing the batteries. I noticed that one of the springs appeared to be somewhat compressed without the battery being installed. I played around with it and sure enough without the other batteries also in there was not enough tension from the spring to hold the battery in place by itself--there was contact, but not much pressure from the spring. I stretched the spring gently until it looked roughly the same as the others and voila, same pressure. Not sure if this is helpful for your situation, but thought I would share.

dwheelr

Drew, based on the issue you raised, I checked out my battery box tonight while I was changing the batteries. I noticed that one of the springs appeared to be somewhat compressed without the battery being installed. I played around with it and sure enough without the other batteries also in there was not enough tension from the spring to hold the battery in place by itself--there was contact, but not much pressure from the spring. I stretched the spring gently until it looked roughly the same as the others and voila, same pressure. Not sure if this is helpful for your situation, but thought I would share.

Thanks! I’ve figured out that on my guitar the issue is actually a loose jack. Not sure how to address that issue, given that it’s part of an assembly that includes the midi and USB jacks as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codyh

Wahoonc,
yes my reflex HSHP has the same issue of the guitar shutting down, losing contact with both a very 'loose to grab' 1/4" female jack (which can't be easily fixed due to the config of the input terminal), and a battery box that has 3 springs, one of which, bottom battery, that has a gap about 1/4" wider than the top two batteries, causing a very loose battery contact.

This bottom battery sits loose in the bottom chamber due to the bigger gap in this slot causing the battery to have an intermittent loss of contact, thus shutting down the electronics. Not knowing this I was constantly unplugging, then replugging the guitar cable into the (very loose to grab) female 1/4" guitar connector. The electronics would come on momentarily, only to shut down the next time the battery lost contact. I had 2 gigs where I was about to go onstage, and the system shut down, luckily I travel with a bevy of guitars, and grabbed the trusty '94 american standard Fender strat, (no batteries) that I refurbished from a pawn shop purchase for a couple hundred bucks.

I've used the GC in numerous studio recordings, it's an amazingly well built instrument with so much potential in being able to switch pickup wirings, but have never trusted it for the stage for these reasons. It would be cool to have the electronics work passively in case there's no juice.

The solution of stretching that bottom spring is good, but temporary at best, it would be solved permanently by replacing that crappy battery box that holds 3 AA batteries with a new box, preferably with a rechargeable battery block like line 6 uses in their Variax, it has solid contacts, and a simple slide in chamber for the battery.

Now that the GC line is shuttered (for now), this mod has to be done independently, with perhaps a very good guitar tech, unless EBMM could make a kit for us that have adopted the platform.

The other issue, the loose 1/4" input jack, needs attention, as I have to tape my 90 degree guitar jack to the guitar with masking tape to hold it in place. This seems like a factory defect.

There's no way I'll ever go onstage live with these issues, it's a studio rig only.

Regardless, I'm saddened to see the GC die, I really like the build quality, it is still a beautiful instrument.

beej

So, both of these things are somewhat wear related and apply to all brands of guitars. (MM doesn't make the output jacks or battery boxes, after all ...)

With regards to the battery box- not all 9V batteries brands are the same size. Some are slightly smaller than others. So a bit of experimenting helps there. You can also put a small paper/cardboard shim between the battery and the door of the compartment, to push it in a little further. (This is something I've had to do on a few older models with the Silent Circuit.) And, of course, you can simply buy another battery box if the contacts break, etc. and wire it in place. No biggie.

Same thing with the output jack. The contacts will eventually bend a little. And not all 1/4" jacks are the same size ... again, some ones are larger than others. And, of course, you can always replace an output jack if it isn't making proper contact.

But that is all great feedback.

Wahoonc

Wahoonc,

The solution of stretching that bottom spring is good, but temporary at best, it would be solved permanently by replacing that crappy battery box that holds 3 AA batteries with a new box, preferably with a rechargeable battery block like line 6 uses in their Variax, it has solid contacts, and a simple slide in chamber for the battery.

Regardless, I'm saddened to see the GC die, I really like the build quality, it is still a beautiful instrument.

Agree, but mine has held up fine and I haven't had any other issues with the battery box. I've never had a problem with the jack.

It is a shame that it didn't reach a wider audience. I've said elsewhere that I think perception is what did it in--kind of like your grandma and the internet back in 2002, except substitute guitar players and the GC. It is relatively easy to set your tones and then it's just a guitar--with an ungodly number of possible tones if you ever want/need them.

Top Bottom