• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mb99zz

I’ve been so busy I haven’t had a chance to post my NGD experience late last year. For some time I have been longing for one of two Cutlass RS guitars that I assumed just didn’t exist — either a black Cutlass RS with the roasted maple neck/FB or a white RS with the roasted neck/FB. Of those two, my preference actually would have been white. Since white only comes with the rosewood FB on the Cutlass RS and black didn’t seem to even be an option, I figured getting either combo was a pipe dream. Those may be boring combos for some in a world with amazing maple tops and colors, but for some reason I was longing for a classic look.

Well, one day I was surfing the web and found a used Cutlass RS for sale at a national big store brand. It was black, with a black PG, and white switch gear (collect call for Mr. Floyd). My jaw dropped. I didn’t think this was ever a color combo option and figured someone swapped a roasted neck onto an older Cutlass body.

The guitar was in TN — several states away from me. I got the store to send me more detailed pics of the guitar and it clearly needed a little help. The tone knob needed to be replaced as it looked to be damaged. It was also missing a tremolo arm. I ran the serial number in the EBMM database and it hit as a black cutlass RS. Wow. Again, I never knew that color combo was ever even offered.

Well, I pulled the trigger. The guitar needed a major setup upon arrival and I’ve slowly gotten her to my liking. This guitar was definitely played. It has lots of scuffs almost like the previous owner wore a bracelet on his/her right arm. Oh well. It gives it character. As a huge Gilmore fan, it’s kind of fun having a MM in this color combo.

Sorry for the lame pic, photography is not my gift in life.

ADB6D693-215D-4B8C-BE87-66379160FCAA.jpg

Cenobyte

Nice, congrats! I'm a pretty massive Pink Floyd/David Gilmour fan so I knew what this was right away! lol I even owned a Custom Shop Gilmour signature model at one point (I was too afraid to take it out of the case so I got rid of it).

I've also owned a few guitars over the years, deluxe Str*ts and a EBMM Silo Special and an AL P90 etc, which I've done in all black similar to this one... a pro tip you may want to consider if you want to finalize the Gilmour black Str*t look... take a black sharpie to the white line around the edge of the pickguard, then go proudly play along with Animals or the entire Wall album! :)

PS if you really wana go nuts you can also get a custom Cutlass pickguard from Pickguard Planet... I had one made for my Charcoal Frost Cutlass (see attached), all black with a rounded bevel edge similar to the guard on the Gilmour guitar, albeit a bit thinner.

Attachments

• IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

mb99zz

That’s awesome. I have seen some amazing relics people have done to match his guitar. I didn’t seek out a black cutlass with white covers and switches, but I do dig it.

BrickGlass

That is absolutely amazing. I'm confused. Has EBMM ever offered that color with the black pickguard, or is this indeed a customized guitar?

mb99zz

When I ran the serial number in the EBMM database, the description appeared to show it was all stock. I think the only thing the database didn’t show was the color or the pickup covers and switch gear/tremolo arm. So, it’s possible previous owner changed it to the vintage white from something else.

Top Bottom