• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Edmang

Question is why was it decided to use a slanted pickup at the bridge rather than a straight pickup on the Big Al bass. A jazz bass has a straight pickup in a similar position.

Was it because the guitar version was like this and makes it look more like a strat? Or was there a sonic reason for it?

Thanks

steevo

I have two Big Als, both 5Hs. My pickups are STRAIGHT!

I think he's on about the 3 pickup model

f65415d2b7d80ea9d404554229c004da.jpg

My guess is the bridge pickup being slanted would be for sonic reasons. There's not really any other reason to slant a pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edmang

My guess is the bridge pickup being slanted would be for sonic reasons. There's not really any other reason to slant a pickup.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably true. But what would the difference in sound quality be between the slanted and straight pickup?

St_G

Same as any other slanted pickup, really. You'll get more treble on the side of the pickup closer to the bridge, more bass on the side further away. Most often, as with normal Strats, Teles, etc., that means you get brighter high strings and mellower low strings, but every now and again you'll see someone go the other way, to get twangier lows and mellower highs.

Probably true. But what would the difference in sound quality be between the slanted and straight pickup?

Golem

Same as any other slanted pickup, really. You'll get more treble on the side of the pickup closer to the bridge, more bass on the side further away. Most often, as with normal Strats, Teles, etc., that means you get brighter high strings and mellower low strings, but every now and again you'll see someone go the other way, to get twangier lows and mellower highs.

This is absolutely it. It even works that way on any PU, not just
the bridge PU [where it's a more definite effect]. This is also why
P-PUs are available both ways, Fender-style and "reversed" altho
the effect is not huge at the "P" distance from the bridge.

bdgotoh

The pickups on the Big Al always reminded me of the pickups on the original Sterling prototype. The pic is from Gav's awesome EBMM website, of course.

TOWN8019CustomImage2247071.jpg

Top Bottom