• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

adouglas

On the tail end of the bell curve in Connecticut
Hey, ho... been a long time (busy busy) but I thought I'd check in with a good Big Al story.

A couple of weeks ago I played a birthday party gig. The family had rented out the Masonic Lodge hall in Bayonne New Jersey (I know... glamorous, right?).

The space was typical of older high schools and church halls... big hardwood floor with a stage at one end and DREADFUL acoustics.

My real-time analyzer showed a huge resonance at about 650 hertz, which I was able to dial out of the mics and guitars... but the bass sounded dreadful no matter what I did.

Wonder what that knob farm is for? This is what it's for. Twiddle until the problem goes away. With such an incredible range of control the answer is bound to be there somewhere.

I wound up rolling the bass and lo-mid all the way off and using the bridge pickup only. Bingo... no boominess, nice and tight. The room made up for the lack of low end.

This thing is a fantastic gigging bass......

keko

Nice gig/sound-check/bass review, ...I understand 100% what are You talkin' 'bout, ...glad You're Big Al can do anything You need in any venue You play! :)

MadMatt

Hi guys, I haven't been around in a while either... you know the deal... baby, new job, ect.

You know, I don't have an Big Al (any more) but my story on the 25th is the same. It funny... I have a really great amp and for some reason I always end up running it set flat and simply dial in on the 25th. That always seems to sound best! :)

Top Bottom