• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Deadlyfield

I put Super Slinky strings on my Stringray Bass, and i get a black oil or carbon type stuff coming off them, making my fingers black , and staining the fret board, is this normal ?

Robert Dittmann

Oh my lord.
You need to change your strings, most likely. And it seems like you should have changed them long ago.
Black residue = not good, and could be damaging your frets.

TNT

DF, it's NOT your new Super Slinky Strings - that's for certain!! However, here's your choice - take your pick: 1)Your fretboard is either filthy or has wood conditioning oil on it from previous treatment (or both); 2) You didn't wash your hands after tuning up your car.

Deadlyfield

Do you have another choice, its not 1 or 2
DF, it's NOT your new Super Slinky Strings - that's for certain!! However, here's your choice - take your pick: 1)Your fretboard is either filthy or has wood conditioning oil on it from previous treatment (or both); 2) You didn't wash your hands after tuning up your car.

Tollywood

That happened to me once last month, then the next two sets of Regular Slinkys did not have the issue.

"Oily" is a little too strong for my experience. I'll say it seemed more like a thin, thin film on my fingers, similar to graphite.

Tollywood

Gee, I'm not sure, but maybe they were the Rock n Roll pure nickel set. I can't remember. I change my Ernie Ball strings often, but I only tried the pure nickel once. Not because I didn't like them. I got back into the habit of buying the regular slinkys.

I've used these strings for at least 20 years. I won't change brands. I've tried the others.

I hadn't given this any thought until your post...

Last edited:

Deadlyfield

Thanks Tollie Graphite describes it best, I have a maple Fret Board, did it stain yours, if so did you get it off, I've ordered a new set so fingers crossed.
That happened to me once last month, then the next two sets of Regular Slinkys did not have the issue.

"Oily" is a little too strong for my experience. I'll say it seemed more like a thin, thin film on my fingers, similar to graphite.

Tollywood

You're welcome...

And, "Welcome to the Forum"...you will make some great friends here. This is my homepage, if that's any indication of how awesome it is...

No staining to my fretboards that I can see. All my guitars are Axii, and I can't remember which one this happened to me with...

I play them all every day. I switch off. They all have straps attached and hang from the wall, so I just reach out and grab one. I keep them at standard tuning (Frankensugar), half step down (Pinky), and drop D (Honey).

Last edited:

TNT

Yeah, I only use the Rock n Roll PURE nickel strings (buy em by the box), and never once have I ever had a problem with "anything" like that!

To be certain, everyone is different, and sometimes the oils on our skin can produce that type of reaction with certain strings under certain circumstances.

Tollywood

I will buy a set of pure nickels today, string Frankensugar up and post my response soon. I'll also string up an Pinky with the Pink Regular Slinkys at the same time.

This is starting to feel scientific... ;)

Tollywood

Okay, it happened to me with the Pure Nickel set, but not the normal Super Slinky set.

However, that Axis has an ebony board, so I can't report on whether or not there was any staining. Yes, I am that dumb. I'll go buy another set of Pure Nickels and string up an Axis with a maple board.

I'll report back soon!

Tollywood

I do hope that you don't mind the little experiment, customer service people. This is not meant to supercede your efforts, it's just for fun!

At least I'm buying more strings than usual, BP!

TNT

Tollie, first off you're not dumb. However, I have concluded what the problem is:

1. YOUR hands (can be your own moisture, oils etc. . . mixing with "whatever" solution is already on that particular fretboard.
2. The fretboard itself is containing the substance (wood conditioners, etc..) that is helping produce the oily reaction.

Deadlyfield

Sent an Email to EB cusomert service on Friday, got an Email from the Aust distributers, there sending me a new set , and want the old set to check them out, not bad service.

Tollywood

Tollie, first off you're not dumb. However, I have concluded what the problem is:

1. YOUR hands (can be your own moisture, oils etc. . . mixing with "whatever" solution is already on that particular fretboard.
2. The fretboard itself is containing the substance (wood conditioners, etc..) that is helping produce the oily reaction.

Thank you, TNT, for saying I'm not dumb...I will Friend Request you for that vote of confidence!

And, you are probably right. The fretboard with the reaction was recently cleaned with the Ernie Ball Fretboard Wipes.

Top Bottom