• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

BIGEJ2

Did a search here and the last few threads on Bongo knobs got a little contentious...

My BFR Crescendo was delivered yesterday. This bass is a monster all of the way around - perfect weight, perfect balance and plays/sounds as good as it looks. And boy oh boy do I like the looks of this thing. Except for the black knobs. They are excellent quality but on this bass, they stick out like a sore thumb.

I've looked everywhere and cannot find anything that will fit. So far my options are to find a woodworker and have them custom make roasted maple ones to match the fretboard or paint the black ones preferably gold with a high quality model paint. Neither seems like a great solution but I'm not sure where else to turn.

Any advice or resources would be super helpful. TIA!

bovinehost

Administrator
Well, geez. I feel a little sheepish, being Lord Bongo and all, but I've never changed the knobs on my Bongos. Someone will come along by and by, surely, with valuable knob-related information.

tbonesullivan

I really don't see what's wrong with black knobs? They look good and are functional. They match the black finish of the logo on the headstock, and the black hardware on the back. Black goes with everything. Also the black finish is quite durable.

Those knobs are custom made for the Bongo, so it's not likely you are going to find any type of suitable replacement.

Golem

Those knobs are custom made for the Bongo, so it's not likely you are going to find any type of suitable replacement.
While such news may be rather disappointing, it seems it would also be welcome, in a way, to know that you can finally cease banging your head on the wall.

FWIW, if you’re willing to pay a craftsman, have the tops of the black knobs milled off and have custom wooden caps made to fit there.

At least now you know your real options, custom crafted or keep the status quo. No more futile searching for ready-to-use alternative knobs.

Last edited:

BIGEJ2

Following up on this. A talkbass member was kind enough to photoshop three photos, one with gold knobs, one with roasted maple knobs to match the fretboard and one with white knobs to match the body/neck paint. I have to say, they all look pretty darn nice. I'm probably going to keep mine black but am considering buying a full new set of knobs from the Music Man store in case I change my mind or want to experiment later.

PC8cJ8L.jpg

BWi7yJu.png

Ad5jkjy.png

8ZWtIQk.png

drTStingray

Following up on this. A talkbass member was kind enough to photoshop three photos, one with gold knobs, one with roasted maple knobs to match the fretboard and one with white knobs to match the body/neck paint. I have to say, they all look pretty darn nice. I'm probably going to keep mine black but am considering buying a full new set of knobs from the Music Man store in case I change my mind or want to experiment later.

PC8cJ8L.jpg

BWi7yJu.png

Ad5jkjy.png

8ZWtIQk.png

I’ve gone through pretty much the same thought process with my Bongo Crescendo - those Photoshops are really useful - I’ve decided the black knobs are fine as well. Mine is extremely light (less than 8 lbs), which is extraordinary for a 5 string!!

Smittybass

For what it's worth, I grabbed a knob off one of my pedals because I've always been a fan of these "Boss style knobs" and it fit no problem. I'm pretty sure any knob the correct shaft size would work since it's a tension/set screw. The hard part is the fact the pot is recessed and the knob is large to accommodate that. This one sits pretty flush. The other obstacle is the stacked knobs... Finding those will be tricky. I had seen the above style before but can't seem to find them now so I'm sticking with the bongo ones for now. Best of luck with your knob search. I'd be doing the same as you if I had that beautiful bass!

Ps. Forum wouldn't let me attach the pics so here's a link. Facebook

Top Bottom