• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

darchirnoj

I have an OLP MM4 that I love. This has me gassing for a used silo Special.
As I searched for one online, I came across a few Super Sports that caught my eye, as well.

Now I’m not sure what to get.

Pickup configs and body woods aside, how different to the necks feel on these.

I’ve played both (models), but it’s been years (I can’t even remember how long it’s been).

Advice? What do you think?

Wahoonc

Silo has a slightly thicker neck--not much thicker, but noticeable if you switch between the two. Also, the ASS has an asymmetrical neck, so the feel is different. I had both and liked the Silo, but I settled on the Axis because I loved the neck (and the pickups).

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I’ve never compared Silo and ASS necks side-by-side but the silo neck is slim in the grand scheme of things. Both my Silo Special and my Cutlass measure (IIRC) 0.80” at the nut and 0.90” at the 12th fret, similar or a hair slimmer than, say, modern strat necks.

headcrash

I almost exclusively play Sports or Super Sports, but until recently also had a Silo Special. To me, the most obviously "feelable" difference was not thickness of the necks, but the width. Silo Spec necks are wider than Axis, AS or ASS necks.
Also the vibe of the guitars is different. I think the Axis/As or ASS breathe rock and heavier styles, whereas the Silo Spec is more of a traditional style allround guitar. You might play rock and heavier styles, but will easily cover a wider range of styles such as Funk, Fusion, Jazz, whatever.
That is not to say, that you won't be able to play different styles, but it's just what the guitars "convey", at least for me.

darchirnoj

Paralysis by analysis, as I’ve yet to decide (that and a busy work schedule).

Thanks for all of the help, guys.

SilosRock

Not that this helps but, if you can only afford one... Get BOTH hahahha. I love my Special and Silhouettes for that matter but I think the Axis (Sport, Super Sport) are the best guitars ever made/ever played. You can't go wrong with whatever decision you choose! Good luck and trust that you will be more than happy with either...

barryallen1337

At last count I had 14 guitars. Strats, PRSi, LP's, Tele's, but the 2 I reach for first are the ASS and Silhouette. Beautifully made, easy to play, and they just sound great. The ASS has a piezo and the Silo is HSS, I can pretty much cover everything I could possibly need with them.

I've never owned or played a Wolfgang so I can't speak to that. shareit VidMate App - Download Install Best Video Downloader VidMate APK 2019

Last edited:

Anacharsis

I've played and liked both very much, but both present challenges for me. Functionally, I like the Axis pickups a little better, but I like the Silhouette neck a little better. Both are good on both fronts. I also prefer 22 frets to 24. Aesthetically, the I like the shape of the Axis much better, but I wish I could find it in solid colors, because figured maple just isn't my look.

Hard to go wrong either way. They're both great.

threeminutesboy

I've played and liked both very much, but both present challenges for me. Functionally, I like the Axis pickups a little better, but I like the Silhouette neck a little better. Both are good on both fronts. I also prefer 22 frets to 24. Aesthetically, the I like the shape of the Axis much better, but I wish I could find it in solid colors, because figured maple just isn't my look.

Hard to go wrong either way. They're both great.

Silhouette neck with Axis pickups = Reflex / 25th anniversary

Just saying ;)

ksandvik

Is this Silo Special a HSS, as the pickup combinations between an HSS and an Axis double-coil is different, not that I play funk gigs with an Axis from time to time...?

darchirnoj

Update: I pulled the trigger on a used Silo Special HSS in beautiful metallic blue (looks like a dark pearl blue) today from GC Connecticut. I should get the guitar in about a week.

I’ve always loved that color, rosewood boards, and I still remember the first and only time I played a Silo Special that I kick myself for not getting( many years ago like in 2009 or 2010).

Had I ever put together a partscaster, this is the color I would’ve tried to get to paint it.

We’ll see how it is when it comes in. Very excited.

click track

I was contemplating that very guitar !! I am glad you snagged...and so is my wife.... Let us know your take on it once you had had a chance to play it for a while. That guitar had the look and I am sure will play great, Enjoy !!

darchirnoj

I was contemplating that very guitar !! I am glad you snagged...and so is my wife.... Let us know your take on it once you had had a chance to play it for a while. That guitar had the look and I am sure will play great, Enjoy !!

:) I was watching it for a few days, and almost contemplated buying parts for a parts caster, and then figured,” Nah...I just wanna play.”

I’ll keep you posted on it.
I love my cheapy OLP Silo Special (MM4), so if it’s as good or better, I’ll be over the moon.

Top Bottom