• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Florian.k

Hey Guys,

I´am wondering if its possible to change the old Tremolo on an 1995 Silhouette Special to the recent one?
With that comes the second question, which is more or less directed at Big Poppa: Can I order a new Tremolo in exchange for the old one? Here in Germany Iam not able to order a Musicman Tremolo without sending the old one in. Any solution to that?

Best Regards
Florian

tbonesullivan

That's a Wilkinson Tremolo. They are still made by GOTOH.

Are you having issues with the tremolo because it is worn out, or were you looking for something new? There are a bunch of tremolos that should be a drop in replacement.

beej

You can't buy the MM trem, and I don't believe they will trade for the older one. (Plus, it's a fair amount of work to move to a 2-post trem.)

If you really want something newer to the current one, you're probably best to sell yours and find a more recent guitar.

tbonesullivan

You can't buy the MM trem, and I don't believe they will trade for the older one. (Plus, it's a fair amount of work to move to a 2-post trem.)

If you really want something newer to the current one, you're probably best to sell yours and find a more recent guitar.
Quoted for emphasis. Moving from a 6 screw to a 2 post tremolo is a major undertaking, and will both cost a significant amount AND devalue the guitar you have.

TripHazard

Hey Guys,

I´am wondering if its possible to change the old Tremolo on an 1995 Silhouette Special to the recent one?
With that comes the second question, which is more or less directed at Big Poppa: Can I order a new Tremolo in exchange for the old one? Here in Germany Iam not able to order a Musicman Tremolo without sending the old one in. Any solution to that?

Best Regards
Florian

Email customer services. They will want the old trem returning, but you never know your luck.
As an alternative have a look at the Floyd Rose Rail Tail

TripHazard

As the other members point out it’s a bit of an undertaking to move to a two post and will probably devalue it. But it can be done - and you can learn to do it yourself (I did but my friend is luthier so I had a good teacher) but you gotta weigh the risks. That’s why I suggested the Rail Tail, it’s an easier swap over.

Top Bottom