• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Rod Trussbroken

Re The "Classic & "Old Smoothie" Sting Ray Basses: EBMM is slimming their line for 2021 due to covid BUT there is no plan on getting rid of these Bass offerings in the future.

tbonesullivan

It's called 'things are freaking weird right now' so things are gonna get weird for a while. This is industry and worldwide.

Dargin

Ernie Ball Customer Service
I don't think we'll make an Old Smoothie or Classic how we used to again. We'll have a limited version of a Classic drop soon and then hopefully we can improve those concepts in 2022.

*Edit just read the other thread..

There is only so much capacity with Covid that we had to reduce certain offerings. To put it in perspective I would guess it's 40-1 for Special vs Classic sales.

Last edited:

Monahan

This morning I checked in to the MM-basses page to check out the new short scales and noticed the Classics and Smoothie missing from the lineup, then naturally came here to get the skinny. Sure glad to read that they aren't gone for good, and I'm VERY interested to see what the Limited version will be like.

Oddly enough this news comes at the perfect time for me; I've been considering selling both my Classic and my Smoothie to generate funds for a new Taylor guitar, but I've not been able to bring myself to actually list them. I'll open the cases to snap photos for the listing, set the camera down, and pick one up to play-- then the other-- and don't you know it, two hours have passed and I've not taken a single photo LOL!

Seeing the two models fall victim (temporarily) to Covid is a sign to hold on to mine. The Taylor can wait a little while longer ;)

liverbird

The Classics (and indeed the Old Smoothie!) were wonderful additions.

Here are two of the first batch of five which EBMM took to Bass Player Live in October 2009 to introduce the new line, Surf Green and Fiesta Red - B050501 and B050505. (The others were Shell Pink, Sonic Blue and Trans White.) The colours were renamed Mint Green and Coral Red for the production run.

OqBJ8hC.jpg

GregP

The short scale Stingray is now visible on MM website :cool:

I just got mine in sunburst and let me assure you this thing shreds! They definitely made the right call by putting the roasted neck on it too. The low end is so thick it’s awesome!

Greg75

Here are two of the first batch of five which EBMM took to Bass Player Live in October 2009 to introduce the new line, Surf Green and Fiesta Red - B050501 and B050505. (The others were Shell Pink, Sonic Blue and Trans White.) The colours were renamed Mint Green and Coral Red for the production run.

OqBJ8hC.jpg

Mine is the one and forever-only Trans White - B050511 (i seem to recall) - played by Sterling Ball at the BPL roundtable launch in 2009 and shipped to me soon after that. I wouldn't change a thing. The bass has been nothing short of awesome for me for 11 years and counting.
attachment.php

attachment.php

brash47

Found this in a "Starving Musicians" shop in Berkeley California. $500...I think they had no clue what they had. I put the new pick guard on...thought it would enhance the chrome look. It did! 20180603_180128 (1).jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

View attachment 41579

Are these beauties yours? 😳

Top Bottom