• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

PinkPanther

Dear all,

as much as I like my latest Cutlass HSS, I miss the classic in-between sound on this guitar when the switch is in position 2 (bridge and middle pickup in parallel). Compared to the situation on a Silhouette, where position 2 splits the bridge humbucker and only the coil near the bridge is active along with the middle single coil, the Cutlass activates the entire bridge humbucker with both coils in series (like the Luke guitars with HSS configuration).

Regarding my considerations to make a modification here and split the humbucker, the HSS Cutlass Guitar Wiring Diagram 05/11/2017 Rev 2.0 shows only a 2-wire cable at the bridge humbucker, so the humbucker would not be splitable at all. Is this correct?

Rolf

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Yes, that is correct. It is not splittable (at least not without opening up the humbucker and doing some surgery). Your choices are to accept the position 2 sound as part of the character of the instrument or change the humbucker. Personally, I never liked the volume drop when using a half humbucker in parallel with a single coil so I am happy with my HSS Cutlass as it is.

beej

I have to say, I actually like that sound. A lower output humbucker (like what's in the Cutlass) works well with a middle pickup- it would sound too anemic if you could split it.

Fwiw, I had a higher output 'bucker in there for a while (Axis pickup) and split it in position 2, and actually prefer the sound of the original pickup in the same position, not split.

fogman

Fwiw, I had a higher output 'bucker in there for a while (Axis pickup) and split it in position 2, and actually prefer the sound of the original pickup in the same position, not split.
Interesting. So put the original humbucker back in?

Lukester

I have to say, I actually like that sound. A lower output humbucker (like what's in the Cutlass) works well with a middle pickup- it would sound too anemic if you could split it.

Hi!
I already have a Thornbucker installed for bridge humbucker, but How is the coil splitting done? How did you do it?

It’s true that the MM humbucker sounds great, and works remarkably well with the middle single coil, especially when I lowered it quite a bit to let the middle single coil shine thru.

beej

To split the humbucker you'll need to replace the lever switch. The current one doesn't allow for splitting. (You need dedicated lugs for all 5 position.) After that, you can split it using either set of coils.

beej

That's right. You can buy them from most guitar stores/suppliers. Music Man sells them too.

In terms of the schematic, there are so many for HSS guitars. The cutlass uses a particular value resistor to lower the resistance for the single coils, so you'll want to stick with that. You could use the stock Cutlass HSS wiring diagram and just translate for a more complicated switch.

Or don't ... again, you don't need to split the bridge pickup to sound good there. The Cutlass doesn't. The Luke doesn't either.

Lukester

Your”re right, the Cutlass sounds very good as it is. I’m more after ”different” than plain ”better”. I’m keeping my other Cutlass stock anyway, I really like the Music Man vintage humbucker.

So I just buy a super -switch and the splitting setup is basicly super strat schema..? (I’m totally a newbie to guitar electrics, but I know a good guitar tech)

beej

Well there are a few things you can do. But a good tech shouldn't have an issue with the wiring, given what you have on the current switch.

Lukester

I suppose the big surprise to me and the tech was that the pots are attached to a circuit board, which makes things a bit more complicated than in traditional wiring.

Is there are chance to get a good schema for this specific wiring somewhere? I managed to find strat schemas, but they all seem to have some issues, like two tone pots etc.

Lukester

I suppose the big surprise to me and the tech was that the pots are attached to a circuit board, which makes things a bit more complicated than in traditional wiring.

Is there are chance to get a good schema for this specific wiring somewhere? I managed to find strat schemas, but they all seem to have some issues, like two tone pots etc.
1 Humbucker/2 Single Coils/5-Way Switch/1 Volume/1 Tone/01 Something like this would work, right…?

beej

The difference (from that diagram) is that the cutlass uses 500k pots and a resistor to lower the load in the single coil positions.

Start with this- here's the Cutlass HSS diagram:

Cutlass HSS Pickguard Wiring REV2 20170511.cdr.jpg
With a superswitch you have to wire it a bit differently, since you'll have 4 sets of 5 poles that don't overlap in the 2 & 4 positions. But again, this shouldn't be too difficult for someone who's handy with guitar electronics.

Top Bottom