• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

skhan007

GWDavis28

Much appreciated!

Here’s the project guitar that came to my attention.

Ernie Ball Music Man Albert Lee | eBay

I love the finish, but think I’d need a new pick guard, three AL pickups, black knobs, etc. I thought it might be too much effort, but still haven’t ruled it out (unless you all think I should).

I'm pretty cautious about EvilBay these days myself.

Glenn |B)

skhan007

I'm pretty cautious about EvilBay these days myself.

Glenn |B)

The seller of that one contacted me on another forum, where I put a WTB ad. He offered me that one for $1175. Then, it would be another $325 for AL pickups. Thus, I hesitate. Not sure if I should offer something lower or skip it all together. I’m thinking it’s the latter,

xjbebop

1175 including shipping is a very decent price for that as long as the frets are still serviceable. You can tell it's an older model by the s/n and the inset neck plate.
I wouldn't get too hung up on factory pickups, especially for your first AL. There are tons of strat-style pups that can give you any tone you want.
You want an SSS in that finish with a hardtail... I'd ask the seller for good picks of the frets and any other 'damage', and if it checks out OK, that's a good deal. You can easily put whatever electronics you want in it and a replacement pick guard isn't a lot either...

skhan007

906F684D-B05A-4956-9F3B-766B04382BA8.jpg
AEDB14DC-40F2-41A8-9113-98CA9DC2B6D1.jpg

Thanks guys, I may consider and follow up with the seller of the three-tone burst AL. In addition, here is the pink burst. It’s a 1994 and is described as 7/10 condition. Seller is asking 1600. Kind of pricey?

On one hand I have this pink burst, which is a cool first-year guitar that needs no parts, reversal of mods, etc. On the other hand, I have a less expensive three-tone burst that does need parts/work and it may be cool after the work is done. What would you do?

Last edited:

Spudmurphy

As one of the founding members of the ALOC (Albert Lee Owners Club) I felt obliged to add my 2d.
It's interesting that you mention the EVH - I had one, a hardtail, for quite some time. I fell out of love with it because of an issue with the neck - too narrow resulting in the E string "coming off" the side of the fret board. I've had 3 Alberts (i still own two) and once I bought my first one in 2005 I have never looked back. You can see the specifications in my signature.
The necks on The Albert, Axis and Silo are very similar, and for me the Albert is one of the best guitars I have played (I've played for almost 50 years).
I'd say get the trem version. As has previously been mentioned, if you don't want to use it pull out the handle. It can be set up to float too a la floyd, without all the associated metalwork. The classic trem on the Albert knocks spots off Fenders Trem imo
A lot of people, on playing an Albert have not turned back. - I'm one of them.

skhan007

As one of the founding members of the ALOC (Albert Lee Owners Club) I felt obliged to add my 2d.
It's interesting that you mention the EVH - I had one, a hardtail, for quite some time. I fell out of love with it because of an issue with the neck - too narrow resulting in the E string "coming off" the side of the fret board. I've had 3 Alberts (i still own two) and once I bought my first one in 2005 I have never looked back. You can see the specifications in my signature.
The necks on The Albert, Axis and Silo are very similar, and for me the Albert is one of the best guitars I have played (I've played for almost 50 years).
I'd say get the trem version. As has previously been mentioned, if you don't want to use it pull out the handle. It can be set up to float too a la floyd, without all the associated metalwork. The classic trem on the Albert knocks spots off Fenders Trem imo
A lot of people, on playing an Albert have not turned back. - I'm one of them.

Very nice! I hope to gain membership to this club ASAP! I appreciate the insight and know that I'll be really happy when I get one. Hopefully soon!

skhan007

I'd suggest you don't buy hard tail! The trem is too fabulous not to have one. And it looks better ;)

I'm not opposed to one with a trem, if I come across one. Right now, I think I'm gravitating towards finding one that does not need work or parts replaced. I'm hoping to follow up with the owner of the '94 pink burst and seeing if we can work out a better price than 1600. If not, I'll move on to a lower cost option, even if it means getting some pickups swapped (not a big deal, as I'm really handy with a soldering iron and work on all my own guitars and tube amps).

Edit: Just got off the phone with a current seller and it looks like I'm closing the deal on that '94 pink burst (photos in post #27). I'll keep you guys posted, as it'll be several days to ship across the US.

Last edited:

xjbebop

"Edit: Just got off the phone with a current seller and it looks like I'm closing the deal on that '94 pink burst (photos in post #27). I'll keep you guys posted, as it'll be several days to ship across the US."

Congrats! Can't go wrong with an older pinkburst!
I got lucky and found a smokin' deal on a 2016 pinky a couple of years ago. Not sure exactly why, but it's got the 'sweetest' voice of all my AL's...

PB2LcGd.jpg

Can't wait to see pics of yours after it arrives!

LisaIs

My favorite body style of all time. It is so Jetsons! Stunning collection.

skhan007

"Edit: Just got off the phone with a current seller and it looks like I'm closing the deal on that '94 pink burst (photos in post #27). I'll keep you guys posted, as it'll be several days to ship across the US."

Congrats! Can't go wrong with an older pinkburst!
I got lucky and found a smokin' deal on a 2016 pinky a couple of years ago. Not sure exactly why, but it's got the 'sweetest' voice of all my AL's...

PB2LcGd.jpg

Can't wait to see pics of yours after it arrives!

Thanks! Your's is a BEAUTY! Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, barring any complications, so I'll definitely post a NGD thread.

Mine comes with a plain white guard that is autographed by Albert. I'll likely take the guard off and put it in the case for safe keeping. I'm then considering a pearloid guard like yours or maybe black or tortoise w/ black pickup covers and knobs. I'll definitely be interested in opinions on this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom