• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

behrens

I have a '96 Silhouette Special that has seen plenty of touring in its life and has bumps and nicks to attest it. I recently saw (who knows how long they've been there) that there are what look to be cracks at the neck pocket. I haven't taken the neck off and I'm wondering if folks think it could just be the finish. Is this a normal thing to have happen over time? Should I be worried about it or keep playing? Can this even be fixed if it is true cracks?

So many questions. :( Guess I'm wondering what I should do. I love this one.

Here's what it looks like on each side:
IMG_0005.jpg . IMG_0006.jpg

steveh

Wood cracks along the grain. Neck pocket finish cracks are usually at an angle to the grain, typically 45 degrees as in your first pic.
I hate it when these happen but they are pretty ubiquitous on guitars with a poly finish, bolt-on neck, and a tight pocket fit. I've had them on EBMMs and Suhrs etc.

Last edited:

Norrin Radd

Wood cracks along the grain. Neck pocket finish cracks are usually at an angle to the grain, typically 45 degrees as in your second pic.
I hate it when these happen but they are pretty ubiquitous on guitars with a poly finish, bolt-on neck, and a tight pocket fit. I've had then on EBMMs and Suhrs etc.

True! And frankly, I'd rather have finish cracks than a loose neck pocket. :)

behrens

This is all great. I really appreciate everyone's input. Not worried now.

Top Bottom