• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bovinehost

Administrator
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I believe Dargin has found my next bass for me.

Oh, it's a Cutlass. It's a Cutlass like no other Cutlass.

41hz

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I believe Dargin has found my next bass for me.

Oh, it's a Cutlass. It's a Cutlass like no other Cutlass.

Awesome. I am intrigued to see this. I have one coming as well - should have it early next week.

bovinehost

Administrator
Tuesday, I am told by UPS shipping notifications.

I shall have my Cutlass on Tuesday. Just in time for the coWpilot live album recording shenanigans.

I will say this: it is green. So very, very green.

Like an M&M.

Now let the wailing and gnashing of teeth begin.

And may the deity of your choice bless the one known as Dargin.

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist

I shall have my Cutlass on Tuesday. Just in time for the coWpilot live album recording shenanigans.

Like an M&M.

It will be held to this standard. View attachment 32485

That is a nice color. I think Dargin has good choice in colors for basses, I do think I'll stay put with two delights though.

41hz

Like an M&M.

Green? You lucky dog. The custom P/Js are the best. I had one back(sterling - glitter silver) in my touring days. Think it took EB 6 months to build. Brian Ball was the artist rep if I remember right.

I will have mine Wednesday. Just a stock color, but I do love the Blue so no worries there.

I have to see this green one.

kinopah

Somebody on TB asked for clips of my Cutlass with the EB cobalt flats. I threw this together in the typically haphazard manner which is my wont. Figured I'd throw it on here too. Apologies that it's a bit sloppy and I don't have much of a recording setup or any real sense for how to even demo how a bass sounds, but uh... well, yeah!
(Better w/headphones)

CutlassDemo by Ed Haponik | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Strings: EB Cobalt Flats
Settings:
0:00 tone rolled off full
0:35 tone dimed
1:15 tone at 50%

Oldtoe

Intestinal Poltergeist
That sounds fantastic to me. Thanks for making the clip!

Somebody on TB asked for clips of my Cutlass with the EB cobalt flats. I threw this together in the typically haphazard manner which is my wont. Figured I'd throw it on here too. Apologies that it's a bit sloppy and I don't have much of a recording setup or any real sense for how to even demo how a bass sounds, but uh... well, yeah!
(Better w/headphones)

CutlassDemo by Ed Haponik | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Strings: EB Cobalt Flats
Settings:
0:00 tone rolled off full
0:35 tone dimed
1:15 tone at 50%

41hz

Wow, that looks so awesome. I would be tempted to put a tortoise guard on there but that is just me. Awesome neck. Enjoy it, and when you can, would love to hear your thought on the sound.

bovinehost

Administrator
In the beginning, there was black and maple, and Big Poppa looked upon these pedestrian offerings and wondered what was wrong with the world. But then he looked down upon the Guitar Center invoices and declared the color scheme was good, for accountants and executives knew they would not long linger in the stores.

And yet, the Forumites grew restless.

And so green basses were carried forth to NAMM, where they were not popular with the suits, which led Big Poppa to declare with great dignity, “Green basses don't sell." And thus thereafter did Dargin hide the one remaining Most Holy Olive Green Bongo under his bed, and it would never been seen by The People again.

Throughout the land, there was wailing, and gnashing of teeth, and emails to Derek Brooks, but it was all for naught.

But good fortune befell the True Believers, and there were limited editions designed and martini inlays acquired, and Dargin looked upon them and said, "This is good." And The People purchased the Dargie Delights, yes, even unto the second editions, and there was great rejoicing in the land.

And time passed, and The People valued their green basses, even knowing they would not sell. Big Poppa had spoken, and his Word was sacred (and often profane) and only rarely would there be green basses, and those would be bestowed upon The Artists and those minstrels who wandered in sponsored tours.

Then, Lord Casey told The People that one lone green instrument had been produced, as if by a miracle, for a minstrel who then wandered far from The Way. Thus it came to be that the green instrument – a Cutlass - remained in that most sacred of factories, although The People found it fetching and lay prostrate before its photos and generally made fools of themselves.

But Dargin knew in his heart that one Disciple, who had long remained true and faithful in the land of Texas, would welcome such an icon, even though the Disciple – Lord Bongo to his friends, Bovinehost to Steve Lukather, Jackie to Big Poppa – had previously agreed to a much more subdued hue, being called “Heritage Sunburst” which was agreeable to the Disciple, as it could be sent out immediately. Dargin, in his wisdom, recalled the green instrument that lay about the factory, having been manufactured for the wandering minstrels, and dispatched an email which said, “I’m guessing you’d rather have this than sunburst.”

And there was rejoicing and the eating of sandwiches and emails to Billy Imperial (coolest name in all the kingdom? Perhaps) who saw to it that things were made right with the Cutlass, such as strings and a setup and boxing and shipping. And so Billy did deliver the box to a delivery service who saw fit to bring the box to the Disciple’s door, and there was more rejoicing.

bovinehost

Administrator
Holy F*#K, this thing is awesome. Now Craig said, "Perhaps the perfect bass" a while back, early on in this very thread, and I can't say I'll argue with him very much, although clearly the Bongo is as close as I've ever had to perfect.

This sucker is GREEN, fellers, as green as green can get. "M&M Green" it has been called, and you'll all relate to that. It is that green. It's on a stand behind me and I keep turning around to look at it. "Is it really that freakin green?" Yes. Yes, it is.

I'll do some glamour shots asap but this neck is glorious. I mean, it looks glorious, but it IS glorious. I want to go put all my necks in the oven now, although I suspect that's not the best idea I ever had. I don't really notice the 'feel' of a neck on the gig but this one definitely feels different. Like a ROCK. It just feels harder. (No off-color comments, I'm controlling myself, you can do it, too.)

Speaking of Craig, we talked earlier today and I said I was going to change out the Slinkys for Cobalt Flats. He said he'd thought about it but was frightened. His Cutlass blew him away out of the box and he doesn't want to jinx it by changing the strings. I certainly don't blame him. Frankly, the Slinkys sounded great on mine, too, but I'm a hard case regarding flats verses rounds so in spite of the monstrous tone I got right away, I sat in front of the TV tonight and restrung with the Cobalts.

Good news: the tone remains monstrous! It's different, tamed the zing a bit, gave me some leeway with the horrid finger scraping noise I had going because I never play rounds (yikes!) and yet still gives me full harmonic content.

It's a different beast for me. I've put some time in on the Caprice so I'm slowly wrapping my head around this 'new' passive Music Man tone. For someone like me - a lunchpail bassist - this simplified layout is nirvana. The Cutlass mirrors my favorite active basses with the one lone pickup concept. I was an early convert to the single pickup Bongos and never looked back, although surely I've had more than a few 2 pickup Bongos (and Stingrays and a Sterling) along the way, but the one pickup in the sweet spot is really what I want. This one, this crazy green Cutlass, is killing it. A volume knob. A tone knob. Everything else is hand placement. Me likey.

And it's direct and in your face punchy. People like to compare these to P basses, and I get that, I really do, but it isn't like a P bass. I don't know what Dudley did with these single coil pickups, but whatever it was, it was genius. P basses are caveman basses and they have their place - we've all had or still have one, don't we? - but this is different. How a passive bass with a split SC pickup sounds like THIS is beyond me to explain, but if you're a fan of the Music Man tone - why else would you be here - you're going to be happy with the new passive basses, especially the Cutlass. I mean, you're going to need a Caprice, too. Don't be crazy.

With my band, I'm really bad about keeping track of what basses I use on recordings. I know I used my Big Al a lot on the first album because it was just sounding and playing right for what was going on, but I also know I used a Bongo on some things, too. Which was which is hard to say, even for me, and I was there. But I will try very hard to keep track of what I'm using this weekend for the live album. I plan to bring 2 fours and 2 fives. The 4 bangers will be the Caprice and the Cutlass, of course, and I'll try to remember to keep notes.

(BTW, if you're in the DFW area, check the coWpilot facebook page for details on the live recording sessions. It's going to be a party, free food and booze and so on, and you get to yell at us, which we encourage.) (And no freaking Fender or Gibson basses, either. You know what I'll have.)

Okay, gotta go break in these Cobalts.

xoxo

Jackie

Edmang

But good fortune befell the True Believers, and there were limited editions designed and martini inlays acquired, and Dargin looked upon them and said, "This is good." And The People purchased the Dargie Delights, yes, even unto the second editions, and there was great rejoicing in the land.

The people will have great rejoicing if there ever is a third edition!

41hz

Agree with the review. It is not like a Pbass. It has a bigger low end and a rounder top end in the tone.

Top Bottom