• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

MikeyB

Hi Guys,

Thought you might enjoy this, very cool how the cutlass reacts with Fuzz pedals. It's such a great guitar!!

MikeyB

Mikey, it's like you're reading my mind! I have spent a huge amount of time lately thinking about exactly this! :D

Do you find the buffer in the Cutlass is an issue with fuzz compared to other guitars?

hahaha.. I try!

It definitely reacts differently to some fuzzes than a Strat would. For instance in that video, the Cutlass works really well with the Pedal Pawn. But it reacts differently to the other 2.

Astrofreq

I hear you both. I hated fuzz for a LONG time, but now I love it. The Cutlass is savage with fuzz! My favorites are:

1. Montreal Assembly - Your and You're
2. Darkglass - Duality Fuzz
3. Fairfield Circuitry - Unpleasant Surprise

These are all just nasty and wonderful. I prefer the older version of the "Your and You're", but either are face-melting.

Last edited:

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I'm definitely getting on the fuzz wagon soon, maybe even an octave fuzz. It's not so much that I want something that works well with the Cutlass but I don't want to have to radically shift settings between the Cutlass and my Silhouette Special. I'm looking at Magnetic Effects Solar Bender or White Atom because they are specifically designed to work well with buffers before them but I think any pedal with high input impedance will perform similarly with the two guitars and the new EHX Ripped Speaker could be very cool too.

If anyone has more ideas, keep 'em coming!

MikeyB

I hear you both. I hated fuzz for a LONG time, but now I love it. The Cutlass is savage with fuzz! My favorites are:

1. Montreal Assembly - Your and You're
2. Darkglass - Duality Fuzz
3. Fairfield Circuitry - Unpleasant Surprise

These are all just nasty and wonderful. I prefer the older version of the "Your and You're", but either are face-melting.

Intrigued by the Your and You're one, just for the name alone! haha

beej

I was never a fuzz guy, but I've really been liking the Source Audio LA Lady / Kingmaker. It's digital (so impedance is a non-issue), and there's pretty much every kind of fuzz in there. Sounds amazing. Plus you get one pedal to replace all of your boosts/ODs/fuzzes/underdrives/etc.

fbecir

I was never a fuzz guy, but I've really been liking the Source Audio LA Lady / Kingmaker. It's digital (so impedance is a non-issue), and there's pretty much every kind of fuzz in there. Sounds amazing. Plus you get one pedal to replace all of your boosts/ODs/fuzzes/underdrives/etc.

I also own a Kingmaker. Nice product (you have a lot of different sounds) but the problem is that you cannot really use your guitar volume control, in order for instance to do the glassy highs trick. The Kingmaker does not react nicely with the pickups at half volume.
My analogue Fuzz are : EHX Germanium Big Muff Pi, DOD Carcosa, Jacques Mercer Box, Jacques Fuse Blower, Ibanez 850 Fuzz, Poons Scottish Fuzz (a boutique French builder) ... One day I will have to do a video with all that.

Thank you Mikey because your video is great and now I am currently testing all my Fuzz pedals !!!

DonA

I'm a huge fuzz fan and have had mixed results so far with my recently acquired Cutlass and fuzz. I haven't tried it with my beloved big box '69 Pedal yet. That's been my go to pedal for 20 years! FIngers crossed!

tbonesullivan

I think, a lot of how well the guitar will work a fuzz pedal depends on the wiring. A lot of the vintage fuzz pedals ended up interacting with the electronics in a guitar, so if the electronics are active, they can sound weird. A lot of people find this out when they put a fuzz pedal down chain of a tuner or boss pedal.

Top Bottom