• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

elvisdog

Hey all, my current #1 is an EBMM Cutlass SSS, set up with .009s, trem decked & all springs tight. This thing plays itself, amazing guitar.

Bought a Stingray just for tonal variation (and because I got a great deal on it) but I've been chasing my tail over setup issues ever since. I restrung with .009s & lowered the action, adjusted the truss rod for very little relief, just can't seem to find the magic touch that the Cutlass has. Are the necks that different? I feel like I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what.

Also, how do you have your pickup height set? How does raising / lowering affect tone?

Astrofreq

Hey all, my current #1 is an EBMM Cutlass SSS, set up with .009s, trem decked & all springs tight. This thing plays itself, amazing guitar.

Bought a Stingray just for tonal variation (and because I got a great deal on it) but I've been chasing my tail over setup issues ever since. I restrung with .009s & lowered the action, adjusted the truss rod for very little relief, just can't seem to find the magic touch that the Cutlass has. Are the necks that different? I feel like I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what.

Also, how do you have your pickup height set? How does raising / lowering affect tone?

Definitely a huge difference between the two. Chunkier neck on the Stingray and fatter tone for sure. I raised my pickup heights on my Cutlass on day one. It just made it a little angrier, which I like.

Top Bottom