• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

NickB

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and look forward to learning about Music Man basses and guitars on this forum. My first EBMM instrument is a wonderful 2eq fretless 4 string from around 1990 (maybe a bit earlier). Unfortunately the database doesn't include early serial numbers so I'm hoping to discover a little about the bass here. The serial number is as follows:

It would be great to find out more about this instrument. It's probably described as honey-burst and the body is made from a single piece of ash or swamp ash with fantastic grain plus a see through scratch-plate that shows off the grain more completely. Fingerboard is Pau Ferro. Any info much appreciated.

Nick

Rod Trussbroken

Welcome to the Forum.

Your Bass is on the database:

Serial # 028842
Manufactured August 8th, 1989
Model BASS STING SUNBRST FRETLESS UNLIND 2EQ

The "Sunburst" finish back then was like a honey burst and today it is now named "Honeyburst".

Your finish is obviously different to the "Vintage Sunburst" which is the traditional Yellow, Red and outer Black finish.

NickB

Hi Gav, Thank you so much for the information. It's great to find out more about my wonderful bass, it's the one instrument I will never be able to sell - I also have a more modern 4 string fretted EBMM from early 2000 - it has a 3 band EQ and massive output but doesn't sound as good as the 89 fretless model.

I've looked far and wide for a 5 string equivalent to my 89 (now I know the date) 4 string fretless to no avail until recently when I managed to acquire one of the 70 short run BFR 5 string fretless models - baked maple neck (I prefer Pau Ferro, Rosewood or Ebony but all Maple can be fun too). I had to sell a 78 Strat that really played well and a Carvin LB75 fretless to fund it but no regrets there!

Finally, would it be possible for you to direct me to the database you refer to?

Regards,

Nick

Top Bottom