• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Hookpunch

Is anyone planning to attend the concerts this weekend? I think they are New Hampshire and Boston.

I would be interested in the reviews - especially if Morse and Satch manage to jam together. I am going to the Toronto show.

Thanks

Hookpunch

kbaim said:
May be attending 9/4 concert, though it'll kill me seeing steve on stage and NOT playing HIS stuff. :(

Hi Kbaim, I saw them a couple of weeks ago and Steve did play Contact Lost and I thought Well Dressed Guitar but now I am thinking it was something off Split Decision, I am trying to recall the track.

In any case you won't be disappointed - Steve playing on everything is a reflection of his style, a lot cleaner and a lot more enjoyable that Blackmore's. He has the good sense to insert his own solo into Smoke on the Water, rather than that really bad one that Blackmore did.

By the way, a great highlight was Steve's version of Knocking At Your Backdoor - he plays it differently than the record and its fantastic. I keep hoping to find it on DVD or CD but so far no luck.

BTW: no Satch and Morse jam - what an opportunity lost! I am really hoping that DP takes some time off and Steve goes out on a G3. Vai, Satch and Morse on the same stage! That would be jam to end all jams.

kbaim

Back in Feb, steve did a clinic at GIT and said he really wanted to do a G3 but purple touring prevented him from doing it. They're always touring.

Glad to hear you liked the show. I love steve's playing, but it's his composing that blows me away. I'd just rather listen to (and watch) his music than anything else, except maybe Bela Fleck & the Flecktones.

Hookpunch

Yeah, I would rather hear Steve play Get It in Writing, Wooden Music, Tumeni Note, Eyes of a Child etc. than the Purple repertoire.

Still though, I'll take what I can get though and hope he does a G3 or even a solo Steve Morse Band tour.

kbaim

Ooh, EYES OF A CHILD, one of my 5 favorite morse tunes ever. I could listen to that tune 50 times in a row. Never heard it live though.

Still not sure if I'm going but I'll cross my fingers that steve and Joe play together for a good chunk of the show.

kbaim

Just thought I'd list my 5 favorite Steve Morse tunes in case anyone needs to discover how great this guy is.

They're all on different albums spanning his entire career.

1. EYES OF A CHILD from stressfest
2. VISTA GRANDE from Southern Steel
3. THE GREAT SPECTACULAR from Dregs of the earth
4. GHOSTWIND from High Tension Wires
5. NIGHT MEETS LIGHT from What If

Thanks steve!

KEITH

kbaim

Hey Hook,

Good list. You ever listen to steves earlier stuff with the dregs. Dude was composing such amazing stuff in his early 20's it boggles the mind. Pick up "what if" or "dregs of the earth" if you don't got. What if is easier to find.

Also, never made it to dp and joe :(
My friend said watching dp just doesn't allow steve to really do his thing, but when he does get the chances he shines. He also said joe and steve played a a few minutes together before smoke on the water (must have been tough for joe and steve to learn that riff :D ) and that joe and the thin lizzy guy did "GOIN DOWN" together.

Hookpunch

Hey Kbaim, that is my next step, checking out the Dregs stuff. I only started listening to Steve in '94, I had never heard him on the radio, I only read about him in guitar magazines and saw him on a TV film about the Guitar '87 festival in Toronto playing with Rik Emmet and Kim Mitchell -I went out the next day and bought Coast to Coast.

Then nothing for the longest time, I finally saw Stressfest at a progressive store , I didn't even know he had released a CD although I kept checking the record store new releases. I figured he was just busy with Purple.

Since then I just order them from Amazon when they come out and regularly check his web-site. Unfortunately his records don't get the big exposure in the guitar mags like Satriani and Vai , so they are easy to miss.

Damn! They played together and I missed it, I'll have to start petitioning for them to do a G3 together.

Top Bottom