• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Defender2000

Care to elaborate? How is the AT-1 different?

Thanks

The AT-1 is similar to the axis bridge in that the north and south coils are symmetrical. Symmetrical means each coil has the same number of turns with the same gauge wire. The resistance reading of the AT-1 is very similar to the resistance reading of the axis bridge pickup.

The AT-1 is different because it's completely aired and the axis bridge is not. Aired just means that the magnet does not touch the slug or the screw poles. At-1 also has the virtual vintage technology and the axis bridge does not. The virtual vintage is just metal slugs inserted in the back of the pickup. These slugs change the inductance of the pickup without changing the resistance. I have pictures of all this, but I'm not sure it's appropriate for this forum.

Anyway, don't mean to get too far off topic. Rumor on the street is that if you "de-air" the AT-1 and remove the virtual virtual vintage slugs, you essentially have an axis bridge pickup. I did exactly this, but unfortunately have no way to test the pickup for a while and I no longer have an axis guitar to compare it to.

Eric O'Reilly

I read that in another forum, was that you? It was a good read,I had a stock at1 did not care for it, now I have a tonezone that I have yet to install in my old ax40, i love that guitar, i did a neck refinish, oil, wax, if I only had the real pups it would be my poor mans axis! Its my everyday player! So well made, plays as well and feels just like a real axis(just not the tone) with the lack of a maple cap and the real pups.

T- Bone

Care to elaborate? How is the AT-1 different?

Thanks
Well in tone aspects it just sounded dull to me...rather lifeless. It was softer, less output (gain) and lacked the dynamic qualities of the stock pups. I left me wanting more....and all that stuff Defender said lol ;-)

Defender2000

It very well could've been me. I've done a couple of write ups on pickups and modding them. I have the same username on a couple of different forums.

If you guys have any questions about the pickup mods, just shoot me a pm and I'll be glad to help you out with what I know.

Ed Hunter

There are a few dimarzio's that get in the ballpark tone of the axis pu's but really the axis pu's are quite unique.
one thing to remember is that they were voiced for the EVH sig or axis guitar(basswood body/maple cap,trem,all maple neck)
so if you put them in say a les paul they may not sound the same or as good
I have a set i bought to try in my non axis guitar and even though they sound great,it is not the same as when in the axis.
i may be selling this extra set but am on the fence about it since they are difficult to get. The axis guitar even unplugged is a very vibrant,ringing guitar so matching that with another guitar like a strat is hard to do in the first place.
one thing i noticed is they sound real good in bright guitar? in my darker guitar they were a little muddy

Last edited:

Stevie

I tried the Axis pick up set in a swamp ash bodied guitar, it too was too dark sounding, not to my liking. Anyways I now have the set up for sale in the for sale thread if anyone is interested.

Stratty316

The Axis Sport was ash and it's sounds amazing... Like a Tele on steroids... There may be one in the for sale thread soon thanks to baby bills...

Ed Hunter

I tried the Axis pick up set in a swamp ash bodied guitar, it too was too dark sounding, not to my liking. Anyways I now have the set up for sale in the for sale thread if anyone is interested.

This was my experience in alder, the neck p'u was much too dark and the bridge pu did not have that classic cut it has in the axis guitar.

krikke

My main guitar is a 1994 EVH Music Man, but recently I purchased a JP6.
I'm not impressed with the JP6 liquifire/crunch lab combination, and would like to change them with pups matching the EVH dimarzio's in terms of output and tone...
Did anybody tried already to do the same?
greets!

Last edited:

coldsummer

My main guitar is a 1994 EVH Music Man, but recently I purchased a JP6.
I'm not impressed with the JP6 liqiufire/crunch lab combination, and would like to change them with pups matching the EVH dimarzio's in terms of output and tone...
Did anybody tried already to do the same?
greets!

I tried it (see earlier in the thread). I thought at the time it would be a perfect combination. It was good, but the axis pick-ups seemed to lose a bit of dynamics in the JP6 for some reason. It was a fairly long time ago so my memory is slightly hazy. I have kept the Axis pick-ups though for some future project :)

krikke

Strange to have such a volume drop when the toggle switch is in the middle position...
I think John must have some kind of a special pedal to fix this... ;-)

QuietSpike

Yep.... I have an EP boost for when I use the middle position (clean) on my JPs.

Although my incoming blueberry JP15 will have a built-in boost... (BIG OBNOXIOUS SMILE!!!!!) :)

coldsummer

Wasn't the middle position designed to emulate a more acoustic response? Or did I totally dream that up. I know it has some kind of device (capacitor/resistor or summat?) wired into the circuit in the middle position to affect the tone.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Wasn't the middle position designed to emulate a more acoustic response? Or did I totally dream that up. I know it has some kind of device (capacitor/resistor or summat?) wired into the circuit in the middle position to affect the tone.

Really? I never knew. Unless it's mounted on the circuit board, I don't see any mention of it the circuit diagrams.

coldsummer

Really? I never knew. Unless it's mounted on the circuit board, I don't see any mention of it the circuit diagrams.

I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere, but of course it may be an urban myth or just my mind playing tricks on me. One thing for sure is that the middle position on my JP6 (and I've owned 3 of them over the years) has a very different tone than anything else. Perhaps someone from the factory will be able to offer a definitive reply?

Top Bottom