• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Shabazz18

I picked a really cheap 20th anniversary Silhouette a couple years ago. But the neck has a weird wave/warp that the truss rod can't fix. This is what EB said when I asked about a new neck:

"The replacement neck is $1,000.00 + shipping both ways. If the entire guitar is sent, the price includes the installation, filing of the nut slots and a complete factory setup. "

Idk about you, but that seems high considering what I can get a whole guitar for. Looks like this will continue life as wall art for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

jayjayjay

Maybe you can find someone on Reverb or eBay selling a neck, or a Silo with a trashed body that can donate the neck?

Astrofreq

FWIW, I sent a neck back a few years back to have it replaned and refretted because there was a slight warp in it. They did an amazing job and round trip it was about $350. I also ONLY sent the neck, which now would probably save you $100+ dollars if not more.

I would ask them about a simple replane and refret job.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I would ask them about a simple replane and refret job.

Yes, but they can't guarantee that's possible until they see and inspect the neck themselves. $1000 does seem high, eyewatering in fact (as me how I know!) but when you factor in the shipping costs and the full install and setup it's actually very reasonable. Go to Warmoth or Fender and look at what a similar spec neck will cost you, and you'll have to install that, do the nut slots, and a final fret leveling and finish before that is always possible too.

GWDavis28

Well since you picked it up cheap, they with the new neck it would bring it into the range of what they are selling for on Reverb (approximately). I guess it comes down to whether or not you like the guitar enough to spend the money and make it better.

Good luck with your choice. Glenn |B)

Fusionman

I’d consider getting a Warmouth neck. I don’t think you’ll ever get out of what you paid for the gtr plus 1k for a neck. Either way hold onto the mm neck.

GWDavis28

I’d consider getting a Warmouth neck. I don’t think you’ll ever get out of what you paid for the gtr plus 1k for a neck. Either way hold onto the mm neck.

He got it wicked cheap, so the added $1000 would bring it to where they are selling for now. Plus boasting a new neck will always help a sale.

Glenn |B)

Fusionman

It would be better to have an authentic mm neck for sure. I’d suggest finding a local luthier to see if it can repaired in your area. If not then your choice is pretty clear. Lol.

Last edited:

Astrofreq

Another option is to find a store that owns a PLEK machine and see what they would charge for the repair.

Fusionman

Avoid plek. A qualified luthier will always do a better job hands down. I’m not talking about finding a GC “tech” either; find an actual luthier. Plek is only as good as the operator programming it and it’s really only practical for slight offsets.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Plek can do a fantastic job but plek requires a good qualified tech or luthier. That Joe Glaser and John Suhr choose to use one tells you about its utility. It's a great tool. But it won't fix a neck that a good luthier can't fix.

edited to add video I did that was just published yesterday.

Last edited:

beej

My first step would be to find a good luthier and see if they could fix/plane the neck to make it usable. I've had a few necks saved this way that would have been destined for the scrap heap.

If you have to buy a new neck- well, you'd be getting an incredible guitar that plays like new. If I loved the guitar, that wouldn't discourage me.

So I guess the question is, would it be a keeper?

Astrofreq

Thanks for the PLEK clarification and good to know. I saw one at the NAMM show and knew it existed, but that's about all.

Top Bottom