• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

KasperFauerby

Hi guys,

Would like your quick opinions on this...

I currently have my L3 set up with 10s and a floating trem.

For a recording project I would like to temporarily change the setup to "dive only". I don't need to pull up on this one, and no matter how careful I play I'm hearing some notes go slightly out of tune due to me putting too much pressure on the bridge. Yeah I know, probably just bad technique on my part.... ;)

Anyway - I considered simply adding more springs... but I already have 3 in there to keep the 10s floating.
Another approach could be to put on 9s for this song, then most likely the 3 springs I already have in there would keep the trem flush.

Do you guys see any problems with either approach? It might be a stupid question, but would 10s with 4 or 5 springs be a problem, tension wise, on the trem system or neck?

PS. I actually still need to dive on this project, which is why I'm not simply picking a hard-tail guitar...

Thanks!

Kasper

Timeblock

My experience as a guitar tech (i own a little musical instruments shop in Italy). According to the EB faqs on the website, for a correct vintage trem setup on the Luke III you must remove che neck shim. On my 2014 PDN Luke III makes a HUGE difference in playability, so if you need a "hardtail" guitar only for recording a few songs is ok to add a spring and make the trem flush on the body, but if you need this trem setup you should follow the correct instructions.

jzeijen

Just screw in the trem claw screws until the bridge is about level. Then retune to pitch and adjust the screws to the trem stifness you like.

jimw427

I will have to try to adjust my Luke as mentioned, I pulled it down but it seems too stiff when using it now. Jim

KasperFauerby

Thanks for the hints guys!

I think I'll go for the extra spring then. I want the "modification" to be as non-intrusive as possible so I can quickly go back to my current setup..

Btw - stupid question: what's the neck shim?

Top Bottom