• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Karl

I am in a bit of a dilemma here, I have just recently acquired a new Bongo 5HH that came with the stock Roundwound Slinky's which I really like the sound of. But I am a Flatwound Guy and although I love the sound of the Slinky's on my Bongo I miss the feel of Flats. I have a set of Flatwound Cobalts and I am itching to put them on, but I don't want to lose that zing that I get with the Slinky's.
So if I put Cobalt Flats on my Bongo will it lose much of its characteristic tone.

Karl

The Cobalts will make your dreams come true.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

(Disclaimer: not a doctor.)

I think I will take the Slinky's off tomorrow and put on the Cobalt Flats. I know that didn't take a lot of convincing my friend but I was already half way there!

Oldtoe

Intestinal Poltergeist
I literally can’t stand to play my Bongo HH basses with anything but Cobalt flats now. Tonal match nirvana and perfect feel (for me anyway.)

Karl

The Cobalts are the same gauge as the stock strings, so would there be any truss rod adjustment needed

Golem

The Cobalts are the same gauge as the stock strings,
so would there be any truss rod adjustment needed

Guage is the outer build-up of mass via windings.
Cores can be different tensile strengths and thus
have different tension qualities. And acoarst the
two are interdependent ... if the windings weigh
more [more mass] &or are less stiffly wound then
it takes more tension to raise the pitch to a given
note. IOW, don't assume anything based on fact
of equal guage/diameter. Kinda like two cowbells
matching width, length, and depth ... but of two
different styles. Steel may be thicker or softer or
whatever yada yada ... no two alike :)

Last edited:

nurnay

I am in a bit of a dilemma here, I have just recently acquired a new Bongo 5HH that came with the stock Roundwound Slinky's which I really like the sound of. But I am a Flatwound Guy and although I love the sound of the Slinky's on my Bongo I miss the feel of Flats. I have a set of Flatwound Cobalts and I am itching to put them on, but I don't want to lose that zing that I get with the Slinky's.
So if I put Cobalt Flats on my Bongo will it lose much of its characteristic tone.

You can always go back.

Top Bottom