• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Delta1up

I've had this EVH model since I bought it new in '95 (made in last month of production). From day one I absolutely loved the pickups! I had a Les Paul prior to this and a few other lesser guitars, but I had never had one that could pound out some heaviness, but at the same time keep things clear and crisp if that makes any sense. So of course one day for reasons I can't remember my bridge pickup went out and I had to order another. I put it in and although was thrilled to have the guitar playable again but kept feeling the pickup was missing something almost barely noticeable, barely to the point that I assumed it was just all in my head (and very well may have been). Lately though it's as if it's running split coil, although it isn't. I even went through and double checked and re soldered some connections, but I'm convinced its not in the wiring. Is it possible for a pickup to loose some spunk for any reason at all? I personally have never heard of it happening. I've measured the output and from what I can tell, it should be at 18.07k, however mine came in at 17.52k. So now I wonder is this enough of a difference to be noticeable? Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
My thought is that it's well within tolerances. (18.07 - 17.52) / 18.07 = 0.55 / 18.07 = 3% difference. If that translated linearly to output that's like 0.25 dB difference? That's not something you are ever, ever gonna hear.

But I know the feeling. I have felt something similar about the bridge humbucker in my Silhouette Special. But I know it's wired impeccably and everything about that pickup and the guitar circuit is well within specification. So, I know there is nothing wrong with it, there is no reasonable way that I can conclude there is anything wrong with it. AND I also love the sound of it. But still, sometimes...

What can I say? Brains are weird!

Last edited:

CJC08

I've had this EVH model since I bought it new in '95 (made in last month of production). From day one I absolutely loved the pickups! I had a Les Paul prior to this and a few other lesser guitars, but I had never had one that could pound out some heaviness, but at the same time keep things clear and crisp if that makes any sense. So of course one day for reasons I can't remember my bridge pickup went out and I had to order another. I put it in and although was thrilled to have the guitar playable again but kept feeling the pickup was missing something almost barely noticeable, barely to the point that I assumed it was just all in my head (and very well may have been). Lately though it's as if it's running split coil, although it isn't. I even went through and double checked and re soldered some connections, but I'm convinced its not in the wiring. Is it possible for a pickup to loose some spunk for any reason at all? I personally have never heard of it happening. I've measured the output and from what I can tell, it should be at 18.07k, however mine came in at 17.52k. So now I wonder is this enough of a difference to be noticeable? Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

It’s in your head. It shouldn’t read 18k. It should read about 17k/17.3k…… My ‘91 EVH bridge pickup measures 17.0k exactly

Top Bottom