• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

thejone

Hi guys!

I have a bunch of MM guitars and am a huge fan. Unfortunately, my job and my two kids keep me from playing a litte. So it is possible that one of my arround 25 guitars is not played for over a year or so....but when I pick them up the sound an play so much better than I memorized it. Yesterday I picked up my JP15 propably after two years or so and I was blown away! It is incredibly tuning stable and the sound is well balanced. I remember that I did not find it perfectly balanced when it was brand new and had a little tuning issues. That settles within 6 month as must guitars need a little time to settle in. But I observed the same thing with my Majesty Artisan. I have the guitars in a temperature and humidity controlled room with 20°C und 50% hanging against a sound wall. I play loud music and listen to music in that room and I can hear the guitars resonating sometimes. The JP15 is now 7 years old and it is better than ever! The EBMM guitars with one piece necks improved the most. I have a jem and a j.custom and they did not improve to much. The nebula and tiger eye were pretty stable and balanced right away but I don't have them long enough to tell whether they will become even better.
I would really like to know what you guys are thinking about this and what your experiances were.

Regards, J

Magic Jason

Hard to tell.
My pdn 2014 is getting so much better with time, it's uncanny.

My AL HH which I could abuse last year, couldn't stay in tune to save its (my) life as soon as I touch the trem bar. And I took pride in setting up my guitars to my liking.

My AL BFR never gets played because it is just uncomfortable to play the high notes, they just won't ring. Cocky luthier couldn't do s...t about it.

Sweat

Yes, I have new and old and old that I just bought, I think older ones are great, but my newer ones are as well so yes they get better , like fine IPA's :)

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I definitely get better with time. OK, maybe I just get different with time. But also the longer I have a guitar the more familiar I am with it and its character and strengths. Does the guitar actually get better with time or is my perception of it better?

And remember when people like violin players talk about older instruments getting better with time (which is partly where our idea of this comes from) they are talking *centuries*, not years or decades. They laugh at electric guitar players with a 30- or 50-year old instrument and think we're nuts. But also in blindfold tests violin players cannot tell the difference between 300 year old master built instruments and modern instruments, and they often prefer the new ones.

venders

I doubt that anybody has data on multiple guitar manufacturers and can compare error rates. The plural of anecdote is not data.

I've owned three EBMM guitars and a bass and have had minimal issues with them. The two guitars I've held onto are my #1s. Unless I have something specific they don't offer, EBMM is always my first choice if I am guitar hunting from one moving here.

There is nothing suspect or particularly nuts about their electronics. :rolleyes2: They are more complicated than a Telecaster but so is the computer you're reading this on.

EBMM customer support has been fantastic to work with, both for minor fixes and mod projects. Outside of small boutique builders I have yet to find a better customer support team than theirs.

Wood instruments are going to do what they're going to do. Get an Aristides if you need more stability.

Last edited:

thejone

Wood instruments are going to do what they're going to do. Get an Aristides if you need more stability.

Where is that coming from? Don't get me wrong here! I do not complain at all. I am just sharing that I am just excited that a pretty good guitar did get even more amazing after seven years. And I compared and shared my experience with other guitars as I never sold one and observe them for over 20 years now. I am convinced that something is going on with them. They never go bad somehow I feel. I thought that to be a good starter for the conversation and to ask what you have experienced.

Last edited:
Top Bottom