• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

JJBC

Hi everyone

I have posted this issue in this forum before, I appreciate all help I got then but the issue is sadly not fully resolved and I would like to try one more time.

I have a fairly new Ernie Ball Music Man Majesty and I have been experiencing sympathetic resonance at the bridge when playing specific notes (regardless of the string) pretty much since I got the guitar. I remember that in the beginning the issue didn't exist until one day I noticed that the saddle bridge of the high E was inclined, I used the wrench to level it and the issue suddenly appeared.

I have asked for help in other forums and I have even taken the guitar to the shop without solving the problem fully. I can't hear the resonance through the amp which is very good but I do hear it when I play without it and it is quite annoying. The resonance is not always present, it usually seems to appear if I have played for a while and apparently it is never present if I play the resonating notes and the guitar is facing down.

I have read that if specific notes cause the resonance it should be due to something loose (probably a screw) at the bridge, I really want to believe this but I just don't see screws at the bridge or anything else that could be loose. My main guess now is that leveling the saddle bridge of the high E has triggered the problem but I don't know how to fix it, I even tried to incline it as it was before but the issue remains.

I attach a video showing the issue and I'm grateful for all help I can get!

(Fret buzz (?) resonance when playing same notes on different strings - YouTube)

fbecir

Hello

Perhaps a stupid suggestion, but did you check the springs of your vibrato ? The springs can vibrate sympathetically with some notes. Put a piece of cloth around the springs to damp them and check if you still have your problem.

Good luck

JJBC

Hello

Perhaps a stupid suggestion, but did you check the springs of your vibrato ? The springs can vibrate sympathetically with some notes. Put a piece of cloth around the springs to damp them and check if you still have your problem.

Good luck

Hi! Thank you for your response. Yes I have tried that, a put some rubber tubes inside of the springs to get rid of that "spring reverb" but that doesn't help for the resonance. I have also damped the springs with clothing, what usually happens is that the resonance disappears and comes back shortly after, besides if the springs are too damped it is harder to do stuff with the tremolo (dive bomb, flutter, you name it). I have also changed the position of the springs and it doesn't have any effect on the resonance, same thing after changing the springs.

Mace13

Yeah, that would also drive me nuts. Something sounds loose. Not sure what to advise other than to check all screws and nuts to makes sure they are tight. Maybe change strings? Remove trem bar?, Tighten trem bar screw? Pickup mounting screws etc.

Fusionman

Maybe the trem block is loose. You may need to remove the entire trem unit to get at certain screws to find the culprit.

GoKart Mozart

I have a custom shop Les Paul that does the same thing! You can not hear it when plugged in, so I just deal with it. Just one of those things...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thejone

I am pretty sure that there is nothing wrong with the guitar. Just try to tighten the srews for saddle hight. Sometimes the two screws on one saddle can be asymmetrical causing one of them to barely touch the base plate. Half of a turn is enough. Before that you can find the culprit by trying to damp the resonance with a finger touching all saddles while strumming. I would not recommend major disassembly of the guitar. Regards, J

JJBC

I am pretty sure that there is nothing wrong with the guitar. Just try to tighten the srews for saddle hight. Sometimes the two screws on one saddle can be asymmetrical causing one of them to barely touch the base plate. Half of a turn is enough. Before that you can find the culprit by trying to damp the resonance with a finger touching all saddles while strumming. I would not recommend major disassembly of the guitar. Regards, J

Hi! After many months I could finally find the culprit. The bridge wasn't completely level so I adjusted the trem posts and the problem seems to be gone. Thank you for your help!

Top Bottom