• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Anvilandforge

Hi,

I received a new Sterling 24 the other day. There was some backbow and the pickup was high/angled but surprisingly there was virtually no buzz, aside from what I believe to be a high 12th fret (buzzes when hammered on heavily on the G).

I checked out the setup recommendations on EBMM’s site and they talk about using the 2nd and 12th frets to set the relief. This seemed a bit odd, as most people use the 1st and the 17th, or last etc...I set it so I’m able to fit a piece of copy paper under the string at the 7th fret, using the 2nd and 12th fret method. However, this leaves a pretty large gap at the 9th when fretting the 1st and 17th fret, which is traditionally what I would use.

My question is, does anyone know why they recommend the 2nd and 12th fret method? And also which method do you use/prefer?

Thanks.

mouth

I usually ignore manufacturer's recommendations for setups as I like mine lower and the neck straighter 99% of the time.

danny-79

First and last fret for me. As long as the string sounds when held down in the two positions that’s about all the relief you need
Honestly don’t know why 2-12 is recommended

Golem

Don’t recall when I learned set ups, but it must’ve included using 1 and 12 cuz I always use that. Not defending or recommending it, just pointing out that it seems there’s no strict rule.

As to setup spec’s, like the replies thus far, I don’t measure anything. I push down at 1 and 12 and as soon as the string barely lifts away from the frets or FL board, that’s my starting relief. I might change it after playing it.

Setting saddle heights, after setting relief, I start out “too low” and then raise each one til it seems about right by feel and by sound.

Setup is personal.

Last edited:

danny-79

Agree with Golem. You just need enough relief so it’s playable with no buzzes anywhere.
You can’t or at least I can’t give you a number of what the distance should be in the middle. People say a business card as a reference point but that’s meant as a visual thing.

How I do mine is unique to me. Plenty of relief cause buzzes craze me. Then go about lowering the action via the saddles and/or a neck shim.

You could take it to a tech but it’s worth investing the time and learning it for yourself cause at the end of the day nobody will ever get it exactly how you vision it to be apart from you.

Top Bottom