• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

k.strand

EBMM Steve Morse Y2D changing pickup configuration?

Hello, I used to have the 4-pickup version of the Steve Morse model earlier, but I sold it a while ago. Although I loved it and all the different possible pickup combinations, I must admit it was a bit complicated, and I found myself using my other "normal" guitars more.. Still I regret a bit selling it, and now I've been thinking of maybe buying a Steve Morse again, but maybe the Y2D model this time. But while the 4-pickup model maybe had too many options, I think the Y2D has too few options.. I would like to be able to use the neck humbucker and the singlecoil simultaneously, and also to have a split-coil function on the humbuckers to get a more strat-like sound. Has anyone had any of these mods done on their Y2D? Is it possible to do this?

Last edited:

Vadauco

I never played an Y2D, but the mod is probably possible with a Fender superswitch (any combination is possible). Maybe the Y2D already uses one.

beej

The Morse is definitely an odd duck. That said, I think it's easier to wire the regular Morse with a 5-way lever, so it switches like the Y2D but with an extra pickup. So I'd say that's your easiest route.

With the Y2D- if there's something you don't want on the 5-way switch, you could wire up neck & single in one position pretty easily. Otherwise, you'll have to get creative.

For splitting- if you don't use the tone control, you could wire it up as a variable coil split for one pickup (I have mine wired up for the bridge). If you want to split both pickups, you'd need either a push/pull pot or to replace it with a toggle switch.

If you don't want to touch the 5-way switch, you could do something like replacing the tone control with a push/pull pot, using the push/pull to split both pickups, and then wire the pot itself as a blend knob to add in the single coil. You could even limit the blending to just the neck position (or any other position) if you like.

Something like a rotary switch in place of the tone knob would also give you lots of options.

tbonesullivan

Which ever one you get, you'd have to rewire it for a Neck HB / Bridge Single configuration. That's not a combination that Steve uses, so it's not on the Y2D.

k.strand

Ok, thanks, so it is possible to split the humbuckers on th Y2D then (are they 4-wire)? I was not sure if they actually were 2-wire, and thus not splitable..

fbecir

The Morse humbuckers are splitable.
On my SUB, I put some Morse humbuckers and a push-pull knob in order to split them and I am very happy with the result.
Now, I ask myself if I will do the same with my Morse.

k.strand

Fwiw, I've never loved the neck pickup split on these guitars. Doesn't really have much personality.

Ok, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, since none of the Steve Morse models actually have pickup split in the first place - maybe you mean that you don't like humbucker split in general..?

tbonesullivan

Ok, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, since none of the Steve Morse models actually have pickup split in the first place - maybe you mean that you don't like humbucker split in general..?

beej has modded the electronics on his Morse models quite a bit, looking for more sonic variety. The pickups are quite unique, and really not designed to be split.

Personally I have found coil splitting to be underwhelming, unless you combine it with a coil on another pickup. The exception are pickups like the P-Rails or others designed with the specific intention of being coil split.

beej

Yep. k.strand asked about splitting the humbuckers in the initial post, and I have mine wired up for coil splits.

In general I like pickup splits, but it depends on the pickup. The Morse bridge pickup sounds great split, for example.

k.strand

Yep. k.strand asked about splitting the humbuckers in the initial post, and I have mine wired up for coil splits.

In general I like pickup splits, but it depends on the pickup. The Morse bridge pickup sounds great split, for example.

This is a bit confusing, but let me try to get it straight.. ;-) So you have tried to split both the neck and bridge humbucker on a Morse, and you like the split on the bridge pickup, but not the neck? And have you done this on the standard 4-pickup model or the Y2D? (Btw; do these two models have the same neck/bridge pickups?)

fbecir

The Y2D and the classic Morse have the same pickups ... the only difference is that the Y2D does not have the slanted single coil.
The other difference is the maple top of the Y2D. I don't know if it changes the tone a lot or not ...

I think beej does not like the sound of the splitted neck humbucker.
Personally, I like it but of course it depends on your expectation. For instance, I use a lot the splitted neck humbucker for glassy clean tones (with a fuzz and the volume knob at half).

tbonesullivan

This is a bit confusing, but let me try to get it straight.. ;-) So you have tried to split both the neck and bridge humbucker on a Morse, and you like the split on the bridge pickup, but not the neck? And have you done this on the standard 4-pickup model or the Y2D? (Btw; do these two models have the same neck/bridge pickups?)

The only differences between the pickups on the two guitars are the gold logos on the Y2D pickups.

beej

Actually the single coil in the Y2D is different- it's a custom Dimarzio.

As for the other q's ... I have 2 Morses and a Y2D. I have them all wired up differently, but all of them are wired for pickup splits in one way or another.

And yes, I appreciate that some folks do like that neck pickup split :)

k.strand

Update: I bought the Y2D, and my local guitar tech set it up with push/pull on the tone control for splitting the humbuckers, and a push/pull on the volume control adding the neck pickup to whatever the 5-way switch shows. It works like a charm, so now I have 13 possible pickup combinations, which I guess is the same as my previous 4-pickup model had, but with a much cleaner/easier switching system :)

Attachments

• Music Man SM-Y2D.jpg
    Music Man SM-Y2D.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 76

k.strand

Well done

What's your opinion on the splitted Morse Humbuckers ?

I think they sound very nice. Obviously there's a difference in volume when you change from full HB to SC, but when combined with one of the other pickups (which is mostly the way I like to use it anyway), it's not noticeable.

Top Bottom