• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

zuma

Anyone know the exact thread type and size for the EB strap lock hex nuts? I'd rather just order them than go nuts (no pun intended) at Home Depot. Imperial? Metric?

zuma

Seems these are the size. "Panel" nuts in M10, 0.75 thread pitch, and 13 mm outer diameter.

I'll take a chance and order the lot of 50. I'll report back soon.

zuma

Reporting back... the panels nuts in M10, 0.75 thread pitch are not exactly the right size. They don't bind, they're just a bit loose. The pitch is actually pretty close. However, I came up with an easy fix. I simply wrapped some plumbers' Teflon tape on the straplock's threads and the nut threaded on just fine. I also lucked out and had a flat washer in a good size.

The correct dimensions are:
  • panel nut: 3/8" - 32 (UNEF fine), 1/2" wide
  • flat washer: 3/8", 1" wide
My pain is your gain. The biggest challenge in replacing these missing bits of hardware is finding it in depths as shallow as the original EB ones. I'm assuming EB sourced those to accommodate those who might use a thicker strap. The original EB panel nut is .080" tall, and the flat washer is .050" tall. The ones I ended up using as replacements were .125" for the nut and .080" for the flat washer. That's a combined difference of .075" and about as far as I think you can take it. For you weight conscious folk, the thicker combo is also about 8 grams heavier.

Four options:
  1. Go hog wild and spend the big bucks to get the skinniest hardware (I could find) at McMASTER-CARR. This would be part #s 91862A521, and 90785A031. With shipping, it will be over $22. Ridiculous, I know, but at least you'll have some extras. You'd get 10 nuts and 5 washers.
  2. Go the Amazon route. This will yield the slightly thicker hardware and be $15 - $20. You will have way more leftovers as most Amazon sellers sell 20 to 50 at a time.
  3. Go with Digikey because they will sell you "just one". This would be part #s 36-1456-ND, and 298-19708-ND. It should run you less then $10, with the bonus that the nut is actually pretty close to the EB size at .093". The washer, however, is twice as thick at .100". Still, it's a slimmer combo than what I ended up with and will work just fine.
  4. Only if you have StewMAX membership - Get the nuts at StewMac. The part # is 1231. Then, get the nicest, slimmest washer you can find at your local Ace, Home Depot, Menards, etc.. If you don't have StewMax, then forget about it because shipping is pretty expensive. No height is specified so I would assume these are about .125" tall. Since I do have StewMAX, I am going to order some. For science!
I suppose the 5th option is to just admit that lending your bass out to your niece was a bad idea, swallow your pride, and just spend $20 on a brand new set of EB straplocks. Ha ha! :ROFLMAO:

Here you can see the taller hardware I replaced mine with. Honestly, the connection feels more heavy duty with the thicker hardware. It's not a bad upgrade if your strap fits.

PXL_20220815_180459959.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:

beej

I suppose the 5th option is to just admit that lending your bass out to your niece was a bad idea, swallow your pride, and just spend $20 on a brand new set of EB straplocks. Ha ha! :ROFLMAO:
Hah!

Wow- that's great detective work. Thanks for the info!

zuma

I wanted to encourage her, obviously. I was prepared for the "headstock ding" and some new scratches. I wasn't prepared for her disassembling just one of the straplocks. Kids today, I tell ya... :cautious:

zuma

Let's put this one to rest. I ordered both the McMASTER-CARR and StewMac panel nuts because I'm a stubborn son-of-a gun like that.

The McMASTER-CARR part # 91862A521 is .0935" thick
The StewMac part # 1231 is .0925" thick

So, compared to the original EB panel nut at .080" thick, they are both pretty dang close. Either are close enough for rock n roll! I ended up cleaning the previously applied teflon and went with the StewMac panel nut.
😎🤘

Top Bottom