• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Ruben

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum. My name is Ruben and I'm a guitar player from the Netherlands.

Just recently I bought myself a Ambder EVH Music Man. Great guitar.

Anyway, here’s my question; the high E string sometimes slips of the fretboard when playing the 12th fret and up. I’ve read this is a common problem which was fixed in the Axis-line.
Now I was wondering if I can do something about that without having to replace the neck :)

So…there's a couple of things I can do:

1) Adjust my technique.

2) I was thinking of getting a replacement sadle for the E string and have it ‘caved’ in. Would that work?

3) Somehow adjust the current sadle, but....how?

4) Last option, scrape some wood and set neck in a slightly different angle.

Music man sadle.jpg

Thanks for answering,

Greetz from Holland,

Ruben

Last edited:

TNT

Rueben, normally yes.

Couple things: Since we can assume that the frets simply are not worn on the edge.
1.do you have a pic of the guitar standing above the entire fretboard?
2.How close is the string to the edge of the fretboard when the string is resting?

You'll probably have a lot of responses however we really need a pic of it. Sometimes the neck is simply positioned close to one side of the fretboard. Sometimes repositioning the neck may do it, however, things like that require some degree of skill due to the amount of uncertainties and related concerns that may arise from other areas.

Spudmurphy

Hi and Welcome to the forum.

As TNT says - we really need more info.

FWIW when I replaced the saddles on my Albert Lee Hardtail guitar with Titanium ones, they brought the strings very slighly closer together and perhaps that would have a similar effect on your predicament?

If you take the option of modifying your saddles by filing/grinding them, perhaps it would be wiser to get a cheap set and retain the originals.

Edit
damn it - I clean forgot that it's a floyd (dumb huh?) so wait for Floyd owners to chime in on the saddle work - I've no experience of Floyds sorry!

Last edited:

Spudmurphy

Hey Ruben - Nice guitar !!

(Great Garden and chair too!! lol)

What we really need to see is a close shot, front of fret board around the neck joint full on / face on so we can see the string spacing.

Cheers

Spudmurphy

Hi Ruben

Not quite the photo I was after.
See if you can take a picture showing the top and bottom e strings - absolutely face on (not to one side or the other) at the same location. The camera needs to be at 90 degrees - so using the analogy of a letter "L" the vertical part of the "L" is the neck and the horizontal part of the "L" the camera.

Cheers

Spud

threeminutesboy

Hi Ruben, welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your issue but I guess you have it right from your 1st point : You need to adjust your technique a bit.

Not a big deal and if Eddy can playit like that you can do it ;)

I have an EVH and it's really not a big deal to manage that but it's true you need to adjust a bit

Ruben

MMEVH II.jpg

MMEVH I.jpg

Hi Spud,

Ok, hope this is better?

I'm gonna take it to a qualified tech tomorrow.

Like I said, it's not such a BIG deal, but can be anyoing overtime perhaps.

Thanks for the input guys!

Ruben

Hi Ruben, welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your issue but I guess you have it right from your 1st point : You need to adjust your technique a bit.

Not a big deal and if Eddy can playit like that you can do it ;)

I have an EVH and it's really not a big deal to manage that but it's true you need to adjust a bit

:)

Spudmurphy

Hi Ruben - great photos lol.

There seems to be no problem from what I can see with the neck alignment, so you don't need to worry on that score.
I hope the tech understands EVH guitars - as there's not that many around in comparison to other makes. He has to understand that the Axis necks and EVH necks are different.

As you know the neck is slightly thinner than the Axis and the problem you have stated is well covered here.
It may have been one of the reasons why EB made the neck thicker - but EB would need to verify that themselves.

I had a similar problem with the Albert Lee guitars, but my playing just seemed to compensate.

After I have my my evening meal I'll take a photo of my Albert Lee neck to show you what I did as a result of changing the saddles over.

Spudmurphy

Well, fwiw, here is a photo of the replacement saddles on my hardtail Al. They are "pinched inwards" slightly and has brought in the 2 e strings slightly.
Would that be a feasible fix on a floyd? (anybody?)

Tollywood

Hello Ruben, and welcome to the forum.

Your issue with the E string is normal on evh models, but was corrected on Axis models.

You just need to adjust your technique...you have to think about your playing for a little while until you adapt. Good luck!

-Bryan

Ruben

Hi Spud, ok! Got it! thanks!

Tomorrow I'll send an update!

@Tollie: thanks and....will be working on it :)

douglasspears

Well, fwiw, here is a photo of the replacement saddles on my hardtail Al. They are "pinched inwards" slightly and has brought in the 2 e strings slightly.
Would that be a feasible fix on a floyd? (anybody?)

that looks like trouble, in terms of tuning stability, especially if it were on a trem....say nothing of the fact that the outer strings aren't over the pickup poles anymore.

Whatever works though!

TNT

Yep, Spud's got it.

After looking at the pics you posted that guitar is "spot on" - no problemo at all. In fact looks perfect, that's "how" you want the strings to look as they roll down the fretboard when you inspect a guitar.

Spudmurphy

that looks like trouble, in terms of tuning stability, especially if it were on a trem....say nothing of the fact that the outer strings aren't over the pickup poles anymore.
yup I can see exactly what you mean DS regarding not being feasible on a floyd or even a classic trem - as the string tension slackens the saddles would want to move back out again. I don't have any issues re the pole pieces but I can appreciate that some could get a bit "angsty" over it.

So it seems that it's just a technique adjustment in this case perhaps.

Last edited:

Ruben

Ok guys, I had my tech look at it and he changed the position of all the sadles somewhat in favour of the E string resting on some more wood :) So, now just wait and see during a gig!

TNT

I mean if you want to get extremely technical (which I do most of the time) be sure your string is resting in the "center" of the saddle cradle. This actually positions the string exactly where it is supossed to be in the saddle, which also supports a correct position on the fretboard.

The only reason I say this is, almost all the time you look for string alignment at the saddle, the strings are NOT resting in the center of the cradle. This can also lead to early string breakage.

For whatever is worth?

Top Bottom